cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving abroad

rikn78

moving abroad

I have today phoned plusnet customer services and advised that I am moving abroad. My contract runs out 14 days after we leave the country.We are in rented accommodation  and cannot just leave the service on for all and sundry to use till the contract expires. I will not be going to another provider in the UK.We have our own router and not one supplied by plusnet.
I have been charged and paid £90 for ending the contact early. This is made up of £25 cessation fee and £65 moving fee.
Despite numerous calls and service tickets I cannot get a sensible answer as to why I am being charged £90 for 14 days worth of service plus my normal bill. I have even suggested that I could just pay for the 14 days as part of my contract and not receive the service. However no one seems to be able to grasp this concept.
I accept that I may have to pay £25 for early cancellation. However I am at a loss to understand the remainder of the charge. I am sure that you will agree that £90 for 14 days service is somewhat excessive or perhaps you would like to justify it????
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: moving abroad

Hi there,
To clarify these charges don't relate to the length of contract remaining, infact we're not charging you as such for any services.
The £65 house move fee was due as you've moved house in the last 12 months which can either be done for a cost of £65 there and then or defer that over a 12 month contract, you opted for the latter which means the charge is payable as you're cancelling within that 12 month period.
With regards to the £25 cessation fee that is a fee we have to pay to our suppliers to disconnect a service I'm afraid.
I am sorry if this hasn't been fully explained up to this point as it should have been so far.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rikn78

Are you saying that I would have had to pay the £65 at the end of the 12 months regardless of having kept your service when we originally moved ?
I understand the cessation charge and have no problem with that. The fact that you are charging me £65 more than I would have paid till the end of my contract is the problem. If the contract was allowed to continue for another 14 days presumably you would not charge me and I would only pay my normal bill. What I am saying is can I not just pay my normal bill up to the end of the 12 months even though I will not receive a service for the last two weeks. We are only talking 2 weeks here after all .If I were to cancel 2 months early then fair enough.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rikn78,
If you kept the service active for the 12 months following the house move, the charge would have dropped off the account and wouldn't have been payable.
However, as you're cancelling the service within 12 months of the house move, the fee that you chose to defer at the time is charged.
As Adam says, that charge has nothing to do with any contract periods on the broadband.