cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating to new provider - does it have to be painful?

leehowarth
Grafter

migrating to new provider - does it have to be painful?

Hi folks
can anyone advise what is involved in moving to another provider, when I moved to Plusnet from TalkTalk some time back I was without broadband for about 2 weeks and I want to avoid that this time. Smiley
How would I go about moving to another provider also transferring the line as well without too much interruption?
This isn't a rant about Plusnet I think it's an awesome company but the product supplied no longer meets my requirements.
Any info would be greatly appreciated 🙂
Lee

15 REPLIES 15
leehowarth
Grafter

Re: migrating to new provider - does it have to be painful?

lol its ok, I think I have found the answer, when transferring the line rental I dont think I need a mac code, that is all sorted by the new supplier I believe 🙂
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you are moving to TalkTalk StalkStalk you will not require a mac code or to Virgin Media NTL.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you are going to a conventional ISP and not LLU, you do need a MAC, it can only be obtained by applying in writing or by phone
Cancellations 0800 432 0200
                                0345 140 0200 09:00 - 17:30 every weekday (except Bank Holidays)
leehowarth
Grafter

thanks dude, Im considering Sky they have decent offers and have unlimited data allowance.
I knw they have their own kit in my exchange so im guessing I dont need a mac as im transfering the line rental also.
Thanks  🙂
ps. I would never go back to TalkTalk.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You will need a mac code for SKY
James
Grafter

Sky also fully unbundle Gary.
@leehowarth - I'd recommend giving our customer options team a tinkle, to see if there is anything that we can do for you.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, you may need a MAC code for Sky, do make sure you give our customer options team a shout: http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/request_mac_key.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
The_10th
Grafter

@leehowarth - Sky's anytime calls package doesn't include 0845 numbers for some reason for info. If you are moving to them and the Plusnet COT can't help (you may be offered the plusnet 'unlimited' package with discount) Sky do have a year's free line rental and a year's (not 6 months') unlimited broadband as 'another' offer not publicised which may be of interest. Agree with the 'stalk stalk' Gary referred to above though  Wink
A product refresh at Plusnet isn't too far off hopefully, so may be worth hanging around just in case their new product(s) would be more appealing.
leehowarth
Grafter

The 0845 isnt n issue for me as we don't use the phone, seems pointless paying line rental for something I don't even use. Its about time BT offered a broadband only option at a reduced rate.
I called Plusnet and in fairness they did offer me an unlimited data package at no extra cost but I have still requested my MAC as the Sky offer is too good to turn down.
I have 6 months free broadband, an unlimited package, access to Anytime+, a faster N+ router (useful as I move files over my network regularly and stream too), and the big bonus is I got £80 cashback through Quidco. The only downside is I reckon their customer service is probably rubbish and I know they use offshore too but if it is really bad then I will most likely come back to Plusnet in 12 months providing they offer unlimited data and have the usual good offers. Oh and a decent router too.
Its a shame I have to wait 5 days for a mac, I am fully epecting this move to go wrong and be without broadband for a few weeks, lucky I have a decent mobile in the meantime 🙂
Im still surprised im leaving Plusnet to be hones, I recomend them to everyone who asks me about broadband as i think they are brilliant.  🙂
adie:quote
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: leehowarth
when I moved to Plusnet from TalkTalk some time back I was without broadband for about 2 weeks and I want to avoid that this time. Smiley
How would I go about moving to another provider also transferring the line as well without too much interruption?

Moving to Sky LLU will be easy.  Moving away from them later will possibly be the same as moving away from TalkTalk was.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

but the product supplied no longer meets my requirements.

Do you mind if I ask in particular what's made you want to move? It's just for our own interest and for feedback purposes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
leehowarth
Grafter

Hi, I was originally moving for the unlimited data allowance, whilst im not a prolific doanloader and prefer to leave torrents running overnight anyway I started using Netflix and this pushed my data usage through the roof.
This got me thinking and i've noticed that with Plusnet I always think twice before I do anything such as download something big or stream video and I fancied being on a plan where this wasnt an issue. As I said im not a prolific downloader but I would prefer data usage not to be an issue.
The second thing that attracted me was th £80 quidco cash back with 6 months free bb and low price after that, also I wouldve gotten a better N router (again useful for streaming video over my network.
I cancelled my order 2 days before the line switch as the one thing I didnt attach enough weight to was the quality of customer service. The Sky order process whas just rubbish to be blunt, I was given conflicting information regarding activation dates for line rental and broadband and after a lot of messing about with email (which they never replied to) and webchats and telephone calls I eventually found out that they wanted to switch my broadband over and then wait over a week to send me my new router. The whole process was [Censored] poor and their forums were loaded with angry people with the exact same issues as myself.
As a contrast whenever I have called Plusnet I have spoken to a friendly informed advisor every time. I could go on about how good Plusnet customer service is but to keep it simple I will just say it works, very well.
So, I was grateful when I found out Plusnet have cancelled the transfer and certainly made it worthwhile for me to stay, I would say to anyone thinking of leaving to another provider just have a look in their forums first if you can and look for trending issues and that is something you have to look forward to. I ignore forum complaints about speed as experience tells me that speed is most likely down to line length or local factors.
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for feeding back about your experience and your reasons for moving away.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
The_10th
Grafter

Thought Sky '...believed in better...'?  Wink
I have experienced conflicting feedback with their support online/phone and it's useful to see what can happen in practice. I know no company is perfect and you do feel like you aren't dealing with an uninterested company with Plusnet - they do act swiftly and take feedback seriously I have found.