cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

market area

cynic

market area

in my local exchange I have AOL, Orange, Talktalk and of course BT. yet it is market 2
why?
10 REPLIES 10
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: market area

You need to ask BT that one.
Santiago
Grafter

You can check your exchange status here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
pierre_pierre
Grafter

welcome cynic,
have you looked at this one? http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
It could be the number of residential customers, you have to see over a certain number of those as well
You have to have 4 or more LLU, you only listed 3 as BT is not one of them
cynic

Plusnet say that there has to be 4 llu (including bt) and the exchange must have 10,000 or more connections. This does not agree with what Ofcom publish :
iv) Market 3 - those geographic areas covered by exchanges where there are
currently 4 or more Principal Operators present AND exchanges where there are
forecast to be 4 or more Principal Operators but where the exchange serves
10,000 or more premises.

The bit before the "AND" says it all!
The bit after the "AND" just adds extra exchanges. There is no requirement for the exchange to have 10,000 connections if there are 4 or more Principal Operators. (BT is a Principal Operator)

The ofcom statement can be found here
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/wbamr07/statement/statement.pdf

PS  Thanks to pierre_pierre  for the welcome 🙂
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually that isn't correct - Note "exchanges where there are forecast to be 4 or more Principal Operators but where the exchange serves 10,000 or more premises."
If, at the time the document was produced, the exchange had 4 or more principle operators then it is Market 3
But if at that time there weren't 4 or more principle operators then the 10.000 rule applies when the 4 operators is achieved,
cynic

Ah, thank you Oldjim. It is now set in stone then. Is that what you are saying? It doesn't matter that things have moved on a little since 2007. Even though there are now four or more Principal Operators in my local exchange I still have to pay the higher price. Am I alone in thinking that it may just be a little bit unfair?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think your last statement should say
Am I alone in thinking that it may just be a little bit is totally unfair and I wish Ofcom would stop forcing BT Wholesale to keep their prices artificially high
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: cynic
Am I alone in thinking that it may just be a little bit unfair?
No, you're not alone. The whole exchange classification exercise appears flawed at a number of points. Unfortunately neither BT Wholesale or any of the ISPs can change exchange classification - that's solely down to OFCOM.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's totally unfair because the LLU companies are never going to be interested in the smaller exchanges so we are likely to always have a two tier charging system which is unfair.
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
Bear in mind that in market 3 areas we would not be able to compete with some LLU providers if there wasn't tiered pricing, we offer the best deal we can to you in your area.
WRT classification, updates to exchanges are rare, but if/when they do happen I don't think there'd be much change overall due to Talk Talk and AOL now being the same, and Orange being in the process of un-unbundling their exchanges.