Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

less than the stated minimum download

FIXED
nw677
Dabbler

less than the stated minimum download

My 'Unlimited Fibre' broadband account has a minimum guaranteed speed of 30.9 and current download is 17.1 Mb. I have gone through all the usual fault checking routines. The BT broadband checker for my exchange shows this;

bbchecker.jpg

Max ADSL downstream is up to 17.5 so why am I paying for 30Mb+ 'Unlimited Fibre' which is clearly less than the stated minimum? Last email from support said I can't leave the contract because I was apparently "unable to complete the steps to help them diagnose the problem"...! The exchange capacity is the problem, as far as I can see....! What do people suggest I do?

Cheers - Nick

21 REPLIES 21
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Re: less than the stated minimum download

@nw677 

What do you define as the 'usual fault finding routines'?

Why were you '"unable to complete the steps to help them diagnose the problem", these sound to me to be the 'usual fault finding routines'?

Perhaps if you started by explaining what test you have done, confirming that you are testing over an Ethernet cable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

nw677
Dabbler

Thank you. By 'usual fault finding' I meant the button where you click broadband troubleshooter and it takes you through loads of steps (like checking connections etc).  I have no idea why I wasn't able to complete the steps - in fact I wasn't aware I had  any further steps to complete. I had one support email saying 'yes, you're being billed incorrectly, please phone us' then another saying I was unable to cancel. Regardless of the confusion with Plusnet, I'm more concerned that the exchange data shows that I'm never going to be able to get anything more than 17.5Mb. My router is showing 19Mb download regardless of whether I'm connected by ethernet or whatever. I could always re-start the faultfinding process again, do you reckon?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@nw677  why don't you start by posting the whole of the BTW DSL checker - not sure what you mean by 17Mbps and paying for 30 - the bit of the table you did post shows you coukd get up to 80.

If you could also post the Help Desk tab from the router that will maybe show more info to be able to help you.

Baldrick1

@nw677 

Try these steps:

1. With a wired phone ring 17070 followed by option 2, the quiet line test. There should be no noise on the line. If there is you have a phone fault which must be rectified before worrying about a broadband problem

2. Remove the front section of your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws, and pull the front off. In the back you will see the test socket.

3. Plug your filter in to the test socket

4. Connect the filter to your hub.

5. Connect the hub to a computer using an Ethernet cable and do a speed test.

6. Are you still getting less than 30Mbps? If so leave the connection in this state so that Plusnet can check it themselves and report a fault at https://faults.plus.net

7. If the speed exceeds the guaranteed minimum then come back for more advice. Let us know how you get on anyway.

Moderator and Customer

nw677
Dabbler

Thank you so much - forgive any misunderstanding on my part WRT speeds etc. Whatever the technicalities, my deal says there is a minimum guaranteed speed and I'm nowhere near it. I'd like to change to a different provider but not if I get the same issue with the exchange. I hadn't understood the VDSL reference, and I pointed to the 17.5 Mb speed as I think my service is ADSL. Screen shots as requested and thanks again for taking the time to advise - really appreciated.

helpdeskhub.jpgbbcheckerfull.jpg

Baldrick1

@nw677 

The problem is that you are on ADSL 2. The 30.9Mbps refers to fibre. Which have you signed up for?

Moderator and Customer

nw677
Dabbler

bbpackage.jpg

Baldrick1

@nw677 

Whoops!!
G992.x are ADSL products Fibre is G993.x.

I suggest that you need to ring Plusnet and bring this to their attention.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

It would appear that you ordered basic fibre, but you have been provisioned on ADSL.  You mention some issue over incorrect billing.

Have you joined Plusnet or upgraded to fibre recently?  If yes, were there issues in provisioning the service?

The simplest explanation to the space you find yourself in is that someone made a mistake processing your order and you have been provided with ADSL rather than FTTC / VDSL.

The more complex explanation is that Plusnet took a FTTC order in good faith, but when BTOR went out to commission the service they found no free serviceable FTTC port in your local cabinet.  Faced with no alternative, Plusnet then provided an ADSL service whilst BTOR sorted out their mess ... but this scenario has not been explained clearly.

This needs a staffer to review the provision history and the billing issues you mentioned.  @Gandalf @adamwalker @TheMightyAJ 

The problems being what they are, your line on ADSL is running very well, even if it is not what you purchased.  On the information available, this does not look like an exchange congestion issue, but might be a local cabinet FTTC capacity issue.  If this is correct, it would mean that no other ISP (unless you have access to Virgin Media) can provide you with a FTTC service until BTOR get their finger out and increase local cabinet capacity.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nw677
Dabbler

Thank you. Just been on telephone support and I am due to ring provisioning again tomorrow. My case goes back to a house move in August 2020 where fibre was ordered but not able to be fulfilled. I was without broadband for 5 weeks (gasp!) and when eventually I did get a blue light on my router and I was able to get back to remote working, I was just relieved to be back online. I had no cause to question the quality of the service, until more recently when I have been offered some work which will require faster speeds. Your interpretation makes sense - the ADSL has actually been very stable but I've been paying for fibre and not getting it. I do recall something about a port not being available, now you mention it, but as I said, I was just delighted to have some sort of connection so I didn't question it. If I've been incorrectly billed for fibre since then, I'm sure there'll be a way of sorting all that out.

Thanks for all the advice - really helpful.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Glad we could help, hope you get upgraded soon, and a decent refund..

Baldrick1

@nw677 

I have no reason to dispute @Townman ‘s theory regarding unavailable ports but as the ADSL checker is now saying available it’s possible that it has now been sorted. I would point this out when you ring.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Well the theory seems to match the emerging evidence ... the only unclear matter is when was the deed done?

The important thing is there’s a clear explanation which fits the facts as presented. It’s now down to the team to sort out the history and deliver what is required and being paid for.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nw677
Dabbler

I now have an upgrade to fibre booked for 11th June. The provisioning team said that they have no way of knowing if a port is available until an engineer opens the cabinet doors, so all will be revealed. @Baldrick1 did you diagnose the BT checker as saying that a port actually is available, or that generally fibre is available at that box? I tried to explain as best as I could on the provisioning team call, but she seemed to think that it needed an eyeball on it to confirm port availability.

Lots of apology over the incorrect billing, so at the very least I should get some credit (winky face)