cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaving - cancellation fee? / ending at the end of the contract?

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

leaving - cancellation fee? / ending at the end of the contract?

Hi,

I've been with Plusnet several years, spent fortunes with them, now my 3rd or 4th 18-month contract ends on 3rd December, to avoid any downtime and/or paying the upper-rate of PLUSNET while i wait for my new supplier to have a vacant space to install the setup for FTTP (a month ahead they are), I ordered my new supplier to install on 9th of November because that's roughly the date when my last bill is paid BEFORE it goes up. so thought it would be the sensible thing to do.

i got a letter saying I'm getting charged 3 things (no prices)

1. The Charge to cancel your services
  2. a final charge to cover services between the previous bill and transfer date
  3. any applicable charges

now I understand 2 and 3 - but what's this "charge for cancelling your services">? I'm not?..I've come to the end of my contract and I'm moving provider BEFORE i have to pay £47 a month to Plusnet

now I wasn't made aware of this

can a staff member tell me how much that is and what my final bill will be?Huh

I think it a bit unfair to charge someone whos been with Plunet 6-7 years whos signed up to BT (only because Plusnet are slow to adopt new technologies like IPv6 and FTTP - being a BT owned company you should have had it available like the rest, so this is your own doing!) - if you had FTTP like most ISPs I would have taken it up with Plusnet instead, but you don't, thus force me to move to get the better newer tech that I need and want through a different supplier

Plusnet - you are losing customers because you can't keep up with today's technology

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: leaving - cancellation fee? / ending at the end of the contract?

@snadge 

Read here and the following post as to why the cancellation charge will not result in an additional payment from you. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/Leaving-how-to-avoid-early-cancellation-fee/m-p/183...

If you are transferring to BT or EE to get access to FTTP then providing you talk to Plusnet and tell them what and why first they will not charge the cancellation fee anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @snadge,

If you're moving to BT to move onto their FTTP services, I'd give our Cancellations Team a ring about this to see what can be done. You can reach the team directly by calling them on 0800 013 2632 between the hours of 8AM-8PM from Monday to Friday, 9AM-7PM on Saturdays and 9AM-6PM on Sundays.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DelT
Grafter
Fixes: 4

If you are having FTTP installed then this should not be using your PN copper line and you should be able to run your new and existing broadband together. It may be less trouble and possibly cheaper to pay PN for the 25 days overlap under your present contract, as the FTTP will be using an OPT and router supplied by BT. Then cease your PN service the day after your contract ends (giving 14 days notice). You would lose your landline telephone service and if this is needed, set up a third party VOIP service, porting your current number.

For the overlap period you would have backup broadband.

Baldrick1

@DelT 

I’do not believe that this will work if you want to keep your telephone number.  I think that transferring your phone number from Plusnet will trigger the closure of the Plusnet account.

Moderator and Customer

snadge
Aspiring Pro

I dont want a landline at all so no worries there - I would have thought that due to my transfer being in my last month and you pay upfront that i would have been ok?? if i had known about 'charges' for leaving in my last month i would have got it sorted for when was suitable (2nd December by sounds of it)- i was just worried about PN trying to hammer me with £47 while BT hammer me for £55+ a bit more for the same month/period

also

a staff member hasn't told me how much this would be - i make zero calls landline unplugged permanently - all i wanna know is what I'm paying for and how much - as Baldrick1 said and as I thought. paying UPFRONT and cancelling inside your last 4 weeks means you should only be charged from then until your connection date (9/11 for me) which takes me inside my last month (that I paid for upfront)

snadge
Aspiring Pro

(continued) ...3rd December was my contract end date, as im moving provider INSIDE that last "upfront paid for month" am i correct In saying I should only be charged from 9 nov to 3rd December but is deducted from my final bill as its paid upfront - is that correct?

i bet its not - i know companies like these have sneaky leaving clauses deep down in the T&C's

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @snadge, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to hear you are leaving us but appreciate your decision!

If you leave us before the end of the minimum term, cancellation fees will be applicable. The amount will be based on the amount of time remaining on the contract and will show on your bill.

With that being said, as you pay for the services for the month in advance, if you leave before the end of a billing period then your final invoice will reflect the days you have paid us, but not received service and the invoice will have a credit to cover this period.

In all, if the amount we owe you to cover a period paid in advance is greater than the cancellation fee then we may well end up owing you a refund after you leave.

I have provided a more detailed response with regards to this on your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=219047226

If you have any further queries at all, please do just let me know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

If only people would read the link that I provided all the way back here in post #2 it explains that the cancellation charge is simply a reduction in the refund that Plusnet pay the leaver.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/leaving-cancellation-fee-ending-at-the-end-of-the-c...

Moderator and Customer

RA27
Hooked
Fixes: 1

My contract ended just over a month ago. I was paying £26.99 for fast broadband. My next bill was for

somewhere around £43 - £44. (Which is fair enough). I had contacted Vodafone for their 100 mbps service.

However, Vodafone had made a mistake at their end, and I ended up having to wait another 2 or 3 weeks

to get connected. The 21st of October ended up being my connection date. Meanwhile, the money I paid

Plusnet should have been due to a partial refund. (Only used the service up until the 21st of that month).

Could someone please tell me how much the refund will be, and when will I recieve it ? Thank you

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @RA27

We'll calculate this automatically in the final bill we generate within 20 days from when your account was cancelled.

If the overall bill is that we owe you money we'll refund this to your bank if you have an active direct debit with us, otherwise we'll email you instructions on how to provide us with your bank details so we can refund it that way. If you don't do this though, we'll post a cheque to you at a last resort. 

Similarly if you owe us money we'll email you to let you know when we've generated your final bill.

Let me know if you've got any further queries. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet