cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landing page changed to card payment details - WHY ?

disfroot
Rising Star

landing page changed to card payment details - WHY ?

I got an e-mail a few weeks back asking me to update my card payment details - which I did.
Now, every time I log into the member centre, from any URL, I am directed to this landing page
https://portal.plus.net/apps/paymentdetails/manage/
Fearing that my card details had somehow not been accepted, I raised a support ticket to ask whether my card details were OK. I was told that they were and that I needed to' re-set my router' ( ahem).
I'm still going to this page every time I log in and it is getting rather annoying.
You may as well know that your £1-50 penalty for card payment is one of the things that I most dislike about Plusnet. Sure, you get a percentage of customers whose card payments fail to go through BUT MINE NEVER HAVE. So why punish every card payer ?
If I could afford to set up a Direct Debit, I would do, but only people with regular, predictable cash flow (i.e. in a job) can even consider DD - one slip and you're slammed with a £25 unauthorised overdraft charge from your friendly bank - no thanks.

10/10 for Evil-ness.
20 REPLIES 20
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: landing page changed to card payment details - WHY ?

Hi disfroot,
Really sorry to hear that, and I assure you we'll be looking into it. Do you still see the same landing page after powering off the router? That should reset things and get them back to normal, but please let us know if not.
disfroot
Rising Star

Still going to the card payment page every time I log into the member centre.
I re-booted the router ( why would this make any difference ?) - no change.
My ticket on this is still active.
My card details must be correct, because you took payment without problem during the fault period.
matt_2k34
Grafter

I re-booted the router ( why would this make any difference ?) - no change.

When a 'failed billing' occurs, plusnet basically restrict your account so that it only lets you have HTTP access to the plusnet website and thats about it (So you can pay, or update details only), Sometimes after paying the restriction isnt removed that cleanly - a router reboot cures that by putting you back into your normal account setup (i.e. no restriction applied)
I would suspect that as it is continually happening, a recent upgrade to one of the systems may have broken something (or it isnt sitting right) if thats the case PN will probably state they've raised internally (meaning one of the dev monkeys should be taking a look to see if they've broke it or if somethings just not functioning right..)
So why punish every card payer ?

Lots of integrated payment systems, you have to pay per transaction - so its more likely PN covering their costs + costs of anyone who fails billing (as they still have to pay for the transaction) so although its high, due to PN having a "low cost" product, they probably have plenty of low income users who fail billing more than is desired.
Regards
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Let us know if it's still a problem for you @disfroot I've never heard of a case where a reboot hasn't sorted that out.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
disfroot
Rising Star

yes - it's still happening. I can go to the URL I originally wanted by hitting the browser BACK button.
ticket says now raised with dev team with no timescale for a fix.
why did you ask me to re-boot the router when the payment hadn't failed, btw ?
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
When a 'failed billing' occurs, plusnet basically restrict your account so that it only lets you have HTTP access to the plusnet website and thats about it (So you can pay, or update details only), Sometimes after paying the restriction isnt removed that cleanly - a router reboot cures that by putting you back into your normal account setup (i.e. no restriction applied)

That is why, For some reason the auto system has got it s knickers in a knot n thinks you've failed billing... Obviously something is preventing the restriction being removed properly, or there is some other dev-based issue with your account. Dependant on what the cause is, the problem could be awkward to fix.
Regards
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI disfroot,
we've raised a request to have this looked into internally. Hopefully we can find out why it's happening.
Jojo Smiley
chalbury
Grafter

I also get this 'card details update' when I log in, ever since someone (the culprits being either Plusnet or my bank but neither will take ownership) cancelled my direct debit and I made a card payment while the DD was being set up again.
Has any progress been made as to the reason for this. I would prefer that Plusnet do not store my card details because I have more than one card and I would choose which one to use as appropriate at the time I need to make a payment. The DD is set up OK now.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
I've raised an internal problem on this now (ID 70811) so hopefully we can get moving on a solution.
Jojo Smiley
chalbury
Grafter

When can we expect to see an update on this, please
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It's still being looked into at the moment, we'll do our best to update you when there's been any further movement.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chalbury
Grafter

Still looking?
GrahamC
Grafter

I can't believe this issue is still raising it's head.
Last year, and for probably 2 years prior, I suffered with this exact same problem. It had nothing to do with failed billing, as I've never missed a payment since being with F9 from 1998, always making payment via debit card.
The automated systems email always claimed my debit card details had expired and would I mind updating them. After a couple of months performing the same update it became rather tiring. After initial logon, I would be directed to the Update Payment Details page instead of the Member Centre, but always had the ability to browse elsewhere on the PN site.
No rebooting/off/on of the router made any difference, nor did my support questions (the last exchange is still logged in Questions against my account). The only way I managed to get out of the loop was by registering a direct debit. OK it saved me £1.50 per month but not the outcome I would have expected.
cheers
Graham
chalbury
Grafter

I have never paid by card, for me this seems to have started when the Plusnet accounts system lost my Direct Debit details and I had to set up another one.
It seems as if the process of looking into this will end when the proverbial porcine objects fly over Weymouth Bay (:o))