cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how did i exceed my 10gb useage????

simplybonnie0

how did i exceed my 10gb useage????

can anyone possably explain to me (in simple terms) how i exceeded my allowance? I have been with plusnet for years and never ever exceeded yet today i have, I don't want to have to check my useage like a child with a pay as you go phone. Plusnet claimed they emailed me to tell me that I'd gone over but as yet i've not recieved it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the customer service people dont know how it happened they just tell me it did Sad
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: how did i exceed my 10gb useage????

Have you looked at your daily usage to see if there is any pattern https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php?&strAction=PERIOD
Regarding the email - have you looked for closed questions on your account to see if it is mentioned. This link may work https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search&view_by=30days&from=dd%2Fmm%2Fyy&to=dd%2Fmm%2Fyy&x=21&y=15
If you go here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=view_details&s=0 is the email address one you monitor
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Welcome to the Forums Smiley
If you notice any inconsistencies with your usage then I can provide a daily / hourly breakdown, just let me know what you need and I'll do the rest.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you explain what type of things you use please. 10GB isn't that much if you use things like iPlayer (especially if you watch the HD versions!).
I'd also suggest you install NetWorX which will keep track of your usage.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Alisanos

Quote from: Ben
Welcome to the Forums Smiley
If you notice any inconsistencies with your usage then I can provide a daily / hourly breakdown, just let me know what you need and I'll do the rest.

I would like to have this also (daily/hourly breakdown), I just reported to support a mega increase in my usage over a 4 day period, 3 out of the 4 days showed peer to peer usage and took me over my 10GB limit.
Thing is I don't use Peer to Peer and so this isn't possible, done a full scan and spybot check and everything is clean. This has only happened since I changed from my old and trusted Belkin router to one sent by PlusNet (Thompson Router) 3 weeks ago.
I can only assume that the default settings on the router have allowed a rogue wireless hack to access my Lan.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to the Forum
Your Thompson rout comes with WPA-PSK switched on, which should be very secure
Hve you been watching I Player?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

NetWorX gives you hourly stats - see attached sample
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Alisanos
I have to generate these logs manually so can you please let me know which dates you would like them for?
Alisanos

Quote from: Ben
@Alisanos
I have to generate these logs manually so can you please let me know which dates you would like them for?

Yes the 3 dates that have unexplained usage are
Frid - 17th Sept. 2.73GB
Sun - 19th Sept 1.6  GB
Tues- 21st Sept 3.04 GB
They are unusual because in 3 months of subscribing, I have never used anywhere near that in a day, the usuage all happens within 4 days, without any extra activity on my part.
Alisanos

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Welcome to the Forum
Your Thompson rout comes with WPA-PSK switched on, which should be very secure
Hve you been watching I Player?

I am not sure whether I used iplayer, might have watched a clip on there, although I have watched you  tube clips quite a lot.
Does the restricted bandwidth - 10GB - exclude you from these media, you tube and iplayer?
This is something I would like to know, as they are everyday features on the internet.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Your data limit includes all data transmitted over your link regardless of source, so yes, iPlayer and YouTube are included in just the same way as webmail, browsing or any other activity is included.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've created ticket 35439520 on your account which shows all the detail of your usage, the short story is that it looks like peer-to-peer software is in use.
Zasps
Grafter

I exceeded my 10GB allowance last month, for the first time. I'm guessing that it was down to me watching a load of YouTube clips. it took me by surprise! I don't often check my email. I just didn't suspect that YouTube would eat into my usage like that. Good job I had the extra usage thingy set at £0! Spent the last week of that month with a download speed of about 5% of what it would normally be.
Does online gaming also use massive amounts of downloadage (I just made that word up)? I was hoping to finally do some online gaming with my 360, but I won't bother signing up to LIVE Gold if it uses a lot of usage. No way I'll upgrade to a more expensive broadband package, though.
zubel
Community Veteran

Nope, gaming is usually very efficient in terms of bandwidth. 
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

although some of the updates can be a bit large and should be done in the free period