cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help: I recently changed my direct debit details

MW45
Grafter

help: I recently changed my direct debit details

I recently changed my direct debit details on about the 22 February I have since received two emails from plusnet telling me they cannot take payment, why is this? When I have left new direct debit details. I have tried to reply into the emails which is useless as it tells me replies cannot be made on that email address (what's the point in contacting me on it then) not sure what to do as like I said my payment details of been updated so they shouldn't be a problem with payment.
17 REPLIES 17
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: help: I recently changed my direct debit details

It can take up to 10 (working?) days for PN to be able to draw on a new DD instruction so if your billing date was within two weeks of the 22nd Feb you may well have problems.
There have been plenty of threads on here about this and suggesting that PN should make it absolutely clear on the DD update screen there is this restriction.  Other companies don't seem to have this problem...
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've had a look into this and have created Ticket: 82309121 on your account. Unfortunately the email we send you notifications from is not designed to receive responses as we recommend that you create a ticket on your account/comment on any existing open tickets. Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.
MW45
Grafter

Thank you for the reply, payment was due on about 25 February plusnet will just have to wait then, as I can't do no more I've updated the details.
pwatson
Rising Star

Past experience of others has shown that it will be necessary to pay this months bill by debit/credit card and ask PN to refund the £1.50 levy they make for non-DD payment.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I recommended that you contact us to make the outstanding payment via a card payment on Ticket: 82309121 to ensure that your services aren't restricted. The charge to pay via card payment is normally £1.50, however, this wouldn't apply due to your particular circumstances. You can speak to our Support Team on 0800 432 0200 to make this payment.
MW45
Grafter

This is unbelievable hassle considering the direct debit payment details were changed before the payment was due! Why can't it just be taken from direct debit never had this problem with other broadband suppliers over the years!
MW45
Grafter

Can't I just give payment card details on this site somewhere as I don't have time to phone and be waiting on the phone all day!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately your new DD details have not be set up in time for your payment to be taken.
I had the same thing happen when I set up the billing with my energy supplier, due to the time scale they had to take the first payment via card payment to allow the DD instructions to be confirmed by my bank and then set up on their end. The next payment was then taken via my Direct debit details.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience, however, in this instance I would recommend that you make the payment via a card payment to ensure that your services aren't restricted. Unfortunately we can't take the payment via the forum. You can add your card details on the member centre and if the invoice is created you should be able to pay this on there. Alternatively our Support Team are open 24/7 and you can monitor how busy we are here: http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212&helpheader=rhmcallstats
MW45
Grafter

Thanks again for the quick reply I see there is a section add card where my direct debit details are would it be ok to put a card there? And will payment be taken without problem if I do?
pwatson
Rising Star

To be fair to PN, and in no way defending their 10 setup time, I think changing DD details on a Saturday for a payment due the following Tuesday is an unreasonable ask of any supplier...
Banks are sticklers for weekends off 🙂
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, you will need to add your card details in that section. Your payment will then not automatically be taken, you will have to find the outstanding balance invoice and submit the payment on there. If you don't have the option to do this then you will need to call us.
MW45
Grafter

To be honest it's been 10 days today that I changed details so why the hell can't it be taken today from direct debit? But can be taken from a card that I don't understand.  Angry
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

It can't be taken from direct debit because they need to be set up, they use seperate system to that of faster payment, the payer bank has to set it up and verify the details and that it was instructed by the payer account holder then the supplier (payee) has to present for payment. It's not a live system it's done using batch systems which generally work overnight.
Card payments are usually take live and preauthorised instantly. The money leaves your account and goes into a holding area for collecting as soon as the auth goes through