Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

faulty MAC code

longlostpoet
Dabbler

faulty MAC code

Sad
since September i have been attempting to leave Plusnet.
attempt no: 1 was thwarted by a long delay in providing the Mac code
no: 2 Mac code given to new supplier ( U W ) code was wrong, was not accepted by BT tag
Plusnet confirmed Mac code to be correct......
U W tried to use code once more, incorrect code....
Plusnet tried to confirm code and would ring me back that afternoon............
next day @ 10:30 am i rang them and explained the problem....
"no problem, i'll ring you back either later today or tomorrow morning"
still waiting !
next day i rang again, explained the situation and refusing to have the bad Mac code ratified i asked for a completely NEW Mac code !
that was earlier this week just gone.
so far i have not received any notification of any new Mac code !
~
customer service is very poor !
why don't they work on Saturdays ?
i have spent a small fortune on the phone to both parties !
~
and i want my Mac code more than ever to get to U W as soon as possible !
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: faulty MAC code

The MAC we provide is direct from the BT systems so it's unlikely to be incorrect. Are there any 0 or O's in it?
We can only provide 1 MAC per 30 days for a line, it's not physically possible to generate another MAC until the previous one has been used or expired.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Using Copy and Paste is the best method to use when transferring codes if at all possible.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
longlostpoet
Dabbler

well Chris Parr is WRONG because his own call centre told me they were having numerous problems regarding MAC codes being refused by BT tag.
~
now after another phone call instigated by me have been told that BT have re-issued the original MAC code
told UW who were mildly surprised at this and were bemused by the whole sorry affair of plusnets lack of regard for their customers, even if they are leaving
i might want to change again in the future....
you can bet it will not be back to plusnet...  !
plusnet should be badnet ! Angry
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you compared the first and second codes? Are they very different?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

How is Chris wrong?
He correctly stated that the MAC code comes from BT systems (as is the case for all ISPs using BT wholesale).
This doesn't preclude the BT systems being at fault but would be something entirely outside the control of PlusNet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm sorry if you weren't happy with my reply, however what I said is correct. Looking over your account it appears that we provided the same MAC again to you which would indicate a problem outside of our control if that's now working.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
longlostpoet
Dabbler

All..
during lengthy phone calls on numerous times with your customer services, i was informed by one of pnets staff that i was not alone and that they were having the same problem with many customers MAC codes being incorrect though given as true at the time.
~
w3
hes wrong because he stated that it was unlikely to be incorrect !
~
last given MAC code by pnet, repeat of existing code,  invalid !
now waiting for a FRESH correct MAC code from pnet........................
and hoping..... Angry
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I can only assume that PlusNet would be escalating this issue with their supplier as the problem must be affecting other users & other ISPs using BT Wholesale for both incoming and outgoing customers.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

i was informed by one of pnets staff that i was not alone and that they were having the same problem with many customers MAC codes being incorrect though given as true at the time.

Being honest it's the first we've heard of this. I'll make sure we remain vigilant in case this starts to become a widespread issue.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI longlostpoet,
I'm sorry about this. One of the senior COT agents is contacting our suppliers regarding this issue and will update your ticket as soon as there's any more information - unfortunately it could be up to 48 hours.
longlostpoet
Dabbler

new MAC key given 19 dec 2011
as of 31 dec 2011 it is not a valid MAC
just cant get away from this lot !
longlostpoet
Dabbler

click on this link for more news of plusnet failure : -
http://www.gogadgetnews.com/
plusnet ? = lessnet
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear you're still having issues with that @longlostpoet I'll make sure I pick this up when I'm back in the office tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team