cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disappearing discount

theoule
Grafter

disappearing discount

I've been with force9/plusnet for 10 years, for the past 2 years I've been getting a special discount of £8.99.  I think I got it when I was thinking of leaving, and phoned the retentions team.  The discount disappeared last year, so I phoned and it was reinstated.
This year, no discount offered, just information about 18 or 24 month contracts.
I'm on Plusnet Extra with Phone international, so my bill is now £38.97.
I think it's time I left.
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: disappearing discount

If you are still on Extra, unless you are on a Market 1 exchange, I think you would save money by changing to Unlimited even without any discounts!
Even if you are on Market 1, paying for a years line rental up front I think you would still save money.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
theoule
Grafter

Yes, I'm on Market 1, so no cheap deals for me.  I resent the fact that I've been with plusnet for 10 years and in order to get a better deal I have to sign up for 12 months.  What happens at the end of the 12 months?  Do I have to get another 12 months, or will I then be back on a month's notice?
theoule
Grafter

I've just received my MAC key.  It says I have to give 10 days notice.  How do I do that?  If I use my Mac key today, will I get charged for an extra 10 days or will that be taken up by the changeover?
Also, how do I make sure my email accounts stay active?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The 10 days is counted from when your MAC was requested, and if you want the account downgrading to email only rather than cancelling I'd comment on the ticket as soon as possible to that effect.
Hope that helps, and good luck with your new provider Smiley
theoule
Grafter

So I shouldn't use the Mac for 10 days?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can use it whenever you wish, though it'll expire in a month after it was issued if it's not used. It'll take around 5 working days for a migration order to go through once it's placed.
If you migrate out within the 10 days, you'll still have to pay for the remainder of that period though I believe if you leave after while you'll pay for the days you've used you won't be charged for any extra days as the notice period has already passed.
theoule
Grafter

Thanks for all that.
Is an email account free or is there a charge?  I'll only need it for a day or so.
Also, will I still be able to log into my account to check final bill etc?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's £1.09 a month I believe, but yes the account will remain open as email only as long as you choose. For a day I'm not sure it'd be worth it, perhaps you could just pass the MAC to your new provider a day later and use the email from your existing account before it closes?
Realise that may not be possible as I'm not aware of the circumstances here, just wanted to make the suggestion.
theoule
Grafter

I've just had a reply from the support team saying
"Once your broadband service migrates to your new provider, your account will be downgraded to an email only service which is free of charge."
So it won't cost £1.09 a month, it seems.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On a free account you will not be able to send mail via the Plusnet servers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
theoule
Grafter

Ah, this is getting confusing.  Shouldn't there be some reference to this in the support pages? And shouldn't the support team have mentioned this?
Saying that my account will be downgraded to an email account implies I'll be able to send as well.
Will I be able to use webmail?  Just to receive email, I mean.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, yes the free account does allow access to the webmail service.