Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

death of account holder

riccardob
Grafter

death of account holder

Hello,

my mum passed away last week.

Can someone advise as what I need to do regarding moving her account to my dad's 

name please.

I am setup on the system as authorised person to speak about the account and I am also executor to my mum's estate.

Regards

12 REPLIES 12
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: death of account holder

Hi Riccardob,

Sorry for your loss - I had exactly the same problem last year when my father passed away.

As you are setup as an authorised person, the easiest thing to do is for you to ring them up and change the name over to your father.  They won't process this via forums/emails as it's a change to the account.

Unfortunatly when my father died I wasn't an authorised person, and my mother didn't want to speak to anyone so we ended up  signing up for a new account as a new customer, and internally transferring the line (bit of a hassle, but it worked fine).  In your situation though ringing them is probably the easiest option.

riccardob
Grafter

hi thank you for your reply.

do you know if my dad will be able to keep my mum's username?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @riccardob 

Sorry for hear of your loss too, I lost my mother around a year ago and I know what a difficult time it is. The PlusNet account has always been in my name, but the direct debit was in hers. Now the current account is in probate (so DD's will fail) so I needed to update the details to my sisters. So the PlusNet account is all paid up.

I had a problem where the site was erroring when I tried to change details. Every cloud has a silver lining. I spoke to a really nice lady on customer services who not only fixed my problem but was really nice to me and said some lovely things which put a smile on my face. I won't mention her name in case I get told off, but you know who you are if you are reading this!

If you think here is bad (yes it can be), I've been added to some groups on Facebook who are people are terrible/nasty and I ignore them.

Anyway I don't know how it will works if you are not an authorized person, good point @flanzm. May have been simplier for me as I set up the account when I lived there, originally using my bank details and it had always been in my name. To get an authorized person changed over in the event of a death, you have need to provide death certificates. This for me meant taking a visit to a local library and going there.

Yes, I did find a local pub after that!

I'm happy to help where I can. I may keep some of the detail to PM's as trust me some of it is not nice public reading.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@riccardob 

Sorry for your loss.

I have escalated this thread in the hope that a member of staff can pick it up sooner.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi riccardob, 

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, my mum passed away just over a year ago so I fully understand what a difficult time it can be and that you'll want to avoid any fuss or hassle getting this resolved. 

Please send me a private message with the username for the account so I can make sure we get the change over arranged for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks Adam,

Sorry to hear it has happened to yourself too.

I've managed to do something, my life is trying to get done now. Remember the good times.

I went through some of my old digital photos, as I thought I will burn them all to a Blu Ray +R. I never trust on-line backup companies as you can do it yourself and one done me over.

Amazing going through some old photos and looking at the date stamp of when I went to Sydney. February 2005! It feels like a couple of years ago. Though it was 15! I was around 27! What! 

I am 43 now and can't believe where the time has gone. Sydney I loved, and I would recommend to anyone who has not been to Australia. Obvious things are the cost and getting the time off work (I was lucky work allowed me three weeks and one day off!) - it was worth it.

My sister found some old VHS tapes, with the date stamps around 1992. This had myself and family in it and I bought a VHS to DVD kit which wasn't too hard. I've got some of the family in the video and interesting I wanted to preserve it. Yes you can pay companies to do it, but where is the fun in that?

Hardest thing was not setting up in the kit, walk in the park. Watching the video was - big time. That made me cry quite a lot.

On a brighter note, my ex-housemate from Uni want me to transfer the graduation video Uni. Should be a bit happier moments, still I can't believe it was 1998!

If I can help anyone with the kit I am using, happy to. Difficult thing is not actually using it, but going through the output.

Sorry I will try and be a bit more cheerful.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ah cheers Alex, means a lot to hear that and definitely don't worry about how you come across! The main thing is that you keep working through how you feel about it, that's the big lesson I've learned in dealing with such things. 

I'm about your age too, I found my graduation photos the other day from 2001, seems like yesterday but how the fashions have changed haha! Cheesy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks Adam, yeah difficult times. The main thing is you just have to laugh at everything - including yourself. Let's be honest who is perfect? Anyone who says "I am" is a liar. Which is exactly what I do now.

My housemate from Uni has a graduation photo of us from 1998 and put a comment on saying "It is amazing you can get degree from playing network Quake". I created that network!. Back in the day before wireless I actually installed network cards in our PC's and ran the BNC cable around the house.

This was before wireless and broadband. Also I went to Birmingham and there used to be a computer fair around Edgbaston cricket ground. For those who don't know it is a big cricket ground I didn't live far from. Back in 1997 a DVD writer was a new thing and cost a lot.

I remember freaking out ay my dad and saying 'I want one!'. They cost a lot then, and he allowed me to have one. I remember spending around £380 on a 2x SCSI internal writer and an ISA SCSI card. It was worth it.

"Those were the days of our lives", as Queen once said.

riccardob
Grafter

Hello Adam,

I've sent you a pm.

I'd be grateful if the username and email on the account could be left as it is.

All we need is for the account holder name to change in my dad's name.

Regards,

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks a lot for the message, I've just sent you a reply. 

In case you need to get back to me, I'm not on shift tomorrow but will be back on shift on Wednesday so I'll be able to pick up any replies then. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
riccardob
Grafter

Hello Adam,

Is there an update on this from your end?

Regards,

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, yes it should all be sorted now. I've just sent a reply through to your message. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team