cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cessation charges - being charged though phone line is active

kotaprolu

cessation charges - being charged though phone line is active

Hi
I am leaving plusnet as I had a bad exp during home move, the promises made to me on phone are false and plusnet didn't bother to check the recorded phone conversations
Now, I am out of contract and have decided to leave plusnet  ( moving to sky) , I informed plusnet about the same took MAC code and passed it to SKY
However SKY said they don't need it but I have insisted to use it
But surprised to see that I am being charged 30 pound for cessation and below is the response from customer care team
my situvation
===========
I am out of contract
phone line is being used by another provider ( SKY)
no need to cease line
I informed plusnet  properly when I am leaving and took MAC and even SKY informed plusnet

you said as --
1) "line will leave dormant Broadband equipment at your local exchange .BT Wholesale, who is the exchange owner that we use to connect you to the Internet, will need to remove the equipment that is not being used in order to free up the capacity at the exchange."

This is incorrect and false , as sky is transferring this to them and you know this the equipment will stay as broadband  with them
Also I & sky both informed that this is a transfer of service but not stopping of service.
SKY also  confirmed that the line transfer is informed to you and is being done in a correct manner  ( by your mail to me  ) , so the line is not going to be ceased .
Technically when the line is not being ceased why are you charging 30 pounds
2)  you said as
"To do this they will charge a £30 cessation fee to cover the extra that this incurs.
Due to the way you have chosen to cancel your account we will ask you to make a £30 payment to cover this fee"

No again this is false as you know that this is a transfer
When you say this way , what does it mean?
I am not stopping the service on phone line to charge me cessation charge
The transfer is done in  a proper way that I am switching providers but not stopping the phone usage or broadband
3) you said as
"I would also like to point out that other providers require a 30 days’ notice period whereas we only ask for 14 working days, so you will be making a saving on the notice period with Plusnet."
I don't mind giving a 30 day notice, if you cancel the cessation charges.
Here you are not giving service free to me ,  so this statement is not valid
Also, no other service provider is charging this cessation charges ,  I checked on google . Why only plusnet ??  is this to stop costumers leaving you ?
I strongly think YES

4)
you said as -
"The Cessation Charge is explained at the point of sale and we also send a copy of the Terms and Conditions when you join Plusnet to your online account"
do you think every customer will read the conditions , when I joined I was told as charge will be applied if service is ceased
But here I am not ceasing the line. SKY will use BT line and they are just transferring from you to them
So all conditions are meet
They ( sky) even confirmed that the transfer is being done in a straight way without any hurdles or issues
please escalate this matter and see what needs to be done so line is not ceased and also the fee is not charged
All - FYI..
Though plsusnet knows that the line is not going to left orphan, though plusnet  know that sky is doing the transfer in the correct way  and though plusnet  know that I am not in contract and though plsunet know that there is no work by BT to be done - plusnet is  charging a 30 pound saying the transfer is not being done properly
I need to find an answer on why a charge is being applied when you know that line is being used

Thank You
Sk

adie:green removed what seemed to be a superfluous poll]

7 REPLIES 7
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: cessation charges - being charged though phone line is active

Hi kotaprolu,
Firstly, I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have had with your home move. Apologies in advance for this,  but I have to be honest and say that whilst it wasn't myself that reported this poll, I'm not really sure what you are hoping to achieve from the results.
In a nutshell, whether you are due to be charged or not is dictated by the type of code we receive from Wholesale.
I can see that you have linked an old thread on one of the tickets, and my stance is exactly the same. I'm a little disappointed that you have come across objection here as the cessation charge doesn't stand, and our automated systems have in fact said that it won't. I'll get the names fed back as there's obviously still a bit of confusion. I'll also ensure that there is no cessation charge applied.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
kotaprolu

Hi Matty

Thanks for the response and I would expect the same kind of  respons from all CS represntatives  . I just wanted to have a say on the  forum and want to see what people think of as this seems to be a ongoing problem for all customers and a fair policy is to be implemented
In a nut shell if phone line is being transferred , there should not be any cessation charges
Please  pass this to all CS representatives and also make sure that your statement 'I'll also ensure that there is no cessation charge applied' is recorded on my account and so no charge is applied
Thank You
SK

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: kotaprolu
In a nut shell if phone line is being transferred , there should not be any cessation charges

It's dependent on the type of transfer. On some occasions, they do necessitate a cessation in which the charge applies. This is why there's sometimes confusion at CSC level.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
kotaprolu

what are those some ocassions , can you confirm please
so would be usefull for memebers in future and we can insist other service providers NOT to follow that path

Also, I am still waiting for update my account , "a statement that cessation charges woudn't apply " as said by you. please do teh nedful

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Whether a cease fee is applicable or not depends on the type of cease reference code we receive, if we receive certain ones it means that the service was ceased and reprovided rather than migrated.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kotaprolu

Thank You Chris for your reply

I am still waiting on the update given by Matty to appear on my account  i.e there will be no cessation charges in this case
can you add it please ? Or please confirm that the confirmation given here will suffice and there is no need for an update on the account
The raeason I am insisting is that , CS reprenttaive gave a different answer  , which is contradicting with your answer as you have already recieved the type of instruction fro migration ' as -  'A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account'
CS wrote as -
" Thank you for getting back to us. We will monitor the account for the migration completing and then once this has completed we can check to see how the service was migrated. Depending how this has been actioned by your new supplier will depend if the cessation charge is applicable.
We will notify you once this has completed. "
Thank You
SK
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Done. I've replied to the ticket.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.