cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You're due a refund; scam or legitimate?

FIXED
norush
Grafter

You're due a refund; scam or legitimate?

I left PN a couple of months ago but have just been emailed by them to say I'm owed a refund and they would like my bank details. Has anyone else had this happen? It all appears legit but it makes me nervous!

7 REPLIES 7
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: You're due a refund; scam or legitimate?

Sounds like a scam to me unless it quotes your account details, username etc. PN like most retailers will keep your accounts data for a while after you leave. This is why you should not cancel your direct debit etc. Adjustments either way can be made later.

You're right to be suspicious of such mails from a bank etc. If you ever tried to contact THEM you will know it's most unlikely they will contact you!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@norush 

If you were out of contract you will have paid a full month in advance. Plusnet will, when they close your account, refund pro rata from when you left up until the end of the billing month.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Longliner @norush 

Under no circumstances should you give anyone who phones you any information about anything to do with money. Furthermore, you should never phone a number that a cold caller gives you.

Dave 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi @norush

We do often send emails of this nature if we owe a refund in a final bill and we hold no direct debit details. 

Before sending a cheque, we'd email asking to enter bank details into our secure online payment system so we can BACS the money across. If you don't do this then we'd post a cheque as a last resort.

Feel free to drop me a PM with a copy of the email and I'll be happy to check it over to see if it's genuinely from us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
norush
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf, yes I did manage to login and check my bills; sure enough it showed a refund for the exact amount so I went ahead and filled out the form using the same a/c I used for direct debit originally.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem and sounds good!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
norush
Grafter

Quick update; money refunded; thanks PN.