cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You are a disgrace - and I am not a bot - unlike anything connected to Plusnet

FIXED
airwise
Dabbler

Re: YOU ARE A DISGRACE - AND I AM NOT A BOT - UNLIKE ANYTHING CONNECTED TO PLUSNET

"Sorry - The phone number and postcode supplied do not match; please try again."

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Re: YOU ARE A DISGRACE - AND I AM NOT A BOT - UNLIKE ANYTHING CONNECTED TO PLUSNET

@airwise,

That description rather sounds like a BT Openreach records issue.  We've seen lots of similar cases around the forums in respect of users migrating to Plusnet - even though there is an installed line, there's a dial tone it does not mean that BTOR's records are correct.

This is an issue that your new provider needs to address, probably via a BTOR bridge case to get BTOR to sort out THEIR records.  Each issue an ISP encounters and escalates to BTOR can take at least 48 hours to resolve.

As for the £30 it is well documented in the T&Cs - it might have been avoided if you had migrated to another ISP who uses BT Wholesale services - note that this is a fee imposed by BT Wholesale, not the ISP.  The problems you face at the moment have no connection to the broadband service removal fee - BT Wholesale will charge that to Plusnet just the same.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

airwise
Dabbler

What a suprise. No fault with Plusnet...

You ARE part of BT. I am not. I also don't have a new provider because I cannot sign up to their services. Catch 22...

As for the £30 as advised, no one pointed it out when I was cancelling - nor did they offer any form of compensation for the downtime. Had they advised accordingly I would have cancelled the service immediately - I was out of the Country at the time anyway. You will have all this on recording of the telephone conversation anyway.

If it were my business I would have either tried to retain a long time client, or I would have "taken a view" with regards to the downtime vs disconnection and resolved to make the disconnection process pain free and non chargeable  - simply to prevent having a vociferous campaigner against Plusnet on public forums with a lot of time on their hands.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

@airwise

The reply by @Townman covers everything I was about to respond with. The only other point that I would raise is that given the length of time between your cancellation and this post, it is quite possible that your previous landline number will now have been recycled to another address, ergo, the postcode and landline number wouldn't match because the number no longer belongs to you.

There's no guarantee that this has happened but its something to consider.

Either way, contacting your favored ISP directly to resolve this is definitely the way to go. We @Plusnet have no influence or responsibility for the provision of service by a 3rd party.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@airwise wrote:

Interesting Townman but how a member of the public is supposed to know that without being informed is beyond me.

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

EDIT: Having raised this for discussion, I'm advised that this is fully explained in the T&Cs here - https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cancellation-policy/ - I'm delighted to find that the difference between cancelation and migration are fairly well explained.  The question is though how well do people read the T&Cs at signup?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

airwise
Dabbler

You at PlusNet seemingly have zero responsibility to do anything save take a direct debit.

That is my point.

I have zero responsibility other than to inform others of this at every opportunity by factually reporting the events of the past few months as is my right.

All of which could have been avoided were PlusNet to have had a customer service operation remotely worthy of the nomenclature.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@airwise wrote:

What a suprise. No fault with Plusnet...

You ARE part of BT. I am not. I also don't have a new provider because I cannot sign up to their services. Catch 22...

Sadly for you, given that you requested the service to be cancelled, that is indeed true.  Plusnet did what YOU requested and then the cogs turn.

BT is a "House with many rooms" and Ofcom industry rules require clear segregation between the different BT entities, no one of them being allowed to have or give favour to another to the disadvantage of another third party.  At a simplistic level...

• BT Openreach (BTOR) own and manage the local phone lines and exchanges for use by BTw and LLU operators such as Sky and TT
  • BT Wholesale (BTw) provide 'broadband connect services' to a multitude of Retail ISPs
  • BT Retail (generally and unhelpfully referred to as 'BT') - the 'branded' RETAIL provider of phone and broadband services
  • Plusnet - a separate retailer of phone and broadband services using BTOR & BTw as their supplier
  • EE mobile services provision division ... who have a other retail resellers within the BT group

It is never as simple as "but you are part of BT" - big business does not work that simply - largely due to the Ofcom rules which they set in the name of "protecting you the customer".

I have zero responsibility other than to inform others of this at every opportunity by factually reporting the events of the past few months as is my right.

I would hope that in being factual that you will remember that (for whatever reason you decided to change suppliers) YOU cancelled the service, rather than simply migrating to a new supplier, following Ofcom rules.  These issues are a consequences to CANCELLING rather than MIGRATING and they apply the same between any pair of ISPs you'd care to cite.  I hope that in sharing your experience people will realise that there are right ways and other ways of doing things.  Sometimes the other ways do not have sweet endings.

Enough said. Lips_are_sealed

airwise
Dabbler

I don't disagree Townman. Sadly for Ofcom they were not clever enough to realise that subsidiaries of BT would simply employ clever men like Andy Baker, tasked with maximising group profits through making well intentioned frameworks work in the interests of the shareholder.

Now I will use my time to make Andy Baker wish I hadn't been born. Seems reasonable to me. I'm bored.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@RandallFlagg wrote:

...it is quite possible that your previous landline number will now have been recycled to another address, ergo, the postcode and landline number wouldn't match because the number no longer belongs to you.

Unless copper pairs in the area are in particularly short supply, a ceased line will normally be "stopped" ie it will have a dial tone, but no calls can be made. The number will be different, whether or not the original one has been re-issued. The OP can confirm this by dialling 17070.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
airwise
Dabbler

Nope. If they had told me of a termination fee when I originally called they could have taken it from the credit on the account that would be unused for three months.

They didn't. They applied it after terminating three months later than was necessary because I was not advised correctly. They will have a transcript of the call and could check if they could be bothered. They cannot. They would rather have someone calling them out to all of their friends and business associates than deal with an error on their part.

I find that to not only be offensive but also to be remarkably poor business practice. As I say, shame on them. Service is provided by human beings not by computers that are programmed to just say "No"

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Hi there.

From what I can see by looking at your account that this is resolved now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
airwise
Dabbler

No. I've not heard a word from them as far as I know - nor have I had any money refunded.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

From what I can see the refund was sent as per the details in this ticket.

However I understand you've now very recently spoken with one of my colleagues in our complaints team about this?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
airwise
Dabbler

Time for me to apologise. 

I suffer from anterograde amnesia so don't store new memories. I should know better by now than to rant. A lady named [CSA Removed] was very helpful and I do vaguely recall seeing a cheque. I have no idea whether I cashed it but the service was there.

To put things right, I didn't need a contract as I am only in the UK for around 8 months a year so I switched. Really wish I hadn't as the quality of the line provided by my new provider is nothing like that of Plusnet. I just wish you employed human beings to resolve issues before they reached the stage that mine did.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems @airwise. I'm sorry for the experience you've had, we aim to provide the best customer service possible in every channel our customers contact us on.

I can see your complaint handler has indicated they'll be passing on feedback internally to improve our service.

I hope you have the opportunity to consider returning to Plusnet in the future.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet