Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong account details online

nimdy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wrong account details online

I'm a bit concerned about how Plusnet are storing customer details on their systems. When I contacted them about my house move they managed to change my online account details to that of someone in Norfolk (I live in Bedfordshire). My address, phone number and itemised phone calls were showing as someone else's. I don't use the phone line for phone calls so shouldn't be seeing any calls on my bill.

When I contacted Plusnet online chat they said it must be due to a previous house move that didn't update their system. I tried to explain that I have never lived in Norfolk, nor do I use the phone. Instead they said they would update the details and refund me. I haven't seen this refund yet, only a refund for my lost service during the house move.

My fibre was connected at my new home on the 21st December. My connection profile was set up wrong (I've written another thread for tbis), but when logging on to my online account this morning I can see that my phone number is showing as a London 0208 number. Again this is incorrect. I should have the same 01462 number I had previously or a new number at the same area code. Should I be worried about this messing up of customer details on my account?

Thanks.

Steve
9 REPLIES 9
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Wrong account details online

I'm just investigating this for you Steve. I'll update the thread shortly.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Appreciate your patience on this.

When a house move is complete, there's three manual actions that need completing by someone from our provisioning team. They need to update your address, update your phone number, and then email you saying that the order has completed (aka, close the ticket).

From investigation, it seems that the incorrect number was added to your account by the agent dealing with the case. I think he was dealing with two tickets at the same time, as he was on the other account with the correct number.

As this is a customer data issue, we take this very seriously so I have fed back and the agent will be given a run through compliance training.

I've updated the number on your account but this does mean that you may be billed for those calls on the next date. I'll refund those calls as accordingly and will offer you a goodwill gesture closer the time.

As a side note, I believe @Anoush has now sorted your issue with the uploads.

Apologies again for the hassle caused.

Matty

nimdy
Rising Star

Hi @MattyC. Thanks for the update. I suspected it was likely to be human error but wanted to report it so it doesn't happen to someone else. I'd add that this has happened on two occasions, once when the move was put through (I saw a Norfolk address and phone number) and the second time once the move was complete (just the number being changed to an 0208 number).
nimdy
Rising Star

Hi @MattyC. I responded to your ticket last week asking for a refund in my Line Rental Saver in addition to my broadband charge but I haven't heard anything back from you. I also received another email this morning saying my next bill is available. I have been charged 32p for calling the number 02087599036 which when checking Googling this number is the BT Openreach Line Test Facility line (which I believe is also the 17070 number the BT engineers call when doing their line tests). As Plusnet incorrectly sent out an engineer to test my line when the issues were in fact an administrative back office error, please could you cancel this bill and bill me for the correct amount (i.e. the compensation mentioned in the support ticket). 

Thanks.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Are you saying the BTO engineer used a chargeable geographic number instead of the free 17070 one?

nimdy
Rising Star

It certainly looks like it. I do not have a phone connected to the phone socket so it would be impossible for me to make that call. 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Perhaps he couldn't remember the number (17070) Laugh

Seriously though, if they use a chargeable number instead BT/PN etc. will over a year make quite a nice little sum since not all customers check their bills or, if they do, don't bother to complain about such a small overcharge.  Well spotted.

I remember back in the BT monopoly days an engineer installed a telephone for me and tested it.  He then called someone at BT asking for an amount to be credited my account for the test calls he'd made.

nimdy
Rising Star

With the amount of incorrect charges made to my account recently, I'm looking at every bill in detail and flagging up any issues, no matter how small. As I do not use the phone (no phone connected) it can only be the BT engineer that has made the call from his 'box of tricks testing tool'. 

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@nimdy - I'll pick your ticket up this afternoon.

Matty