Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wouldn't let me renew Line Rental Saver

FIXED
Ray385
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Wouldn't let me renew Line Rental Saver

On 18 July 2019 I agreed a new contract for unlimited fibre max to run from 8 August 2019 when the existing contract and line rental saver finished. I agreed a 12 month contract for broadband so I could keep it in line with the line rental saver period. On 7 August 2019 I tried to renew the line rental saver but the system would not let me and also said that Customer Services would not be able to either. I phoned Customer Services anyway and was advised that the system would not allow more than one contract change in a period but to phone again today once the account had billed so the problem can then be sorted out. I phoned today and explained the problem, however as the billing system was down, they couldn't do anything and could I phone back again.

I understand that the Customer Service Agent can't do anything without access to the system but when I asked how would the broadband contract and line rental saver be bought back in to sync he didn't know and suggested when I phone back I speak to the options team as they are better placed to address the problem, but to leave it a day or two. At the time the option teams were experiencing delays of 23 minutes and with the billing system down they wouldn't be able to help.

I've not had a problem in the last two years and having wasted 40 odd minutes on the phone to get nowhere is frustrating. Can someone from Plusnet pick this up and sort it out please? I think changing the system to allow line rental saver alongside other contract changes would also help reduce calls to customer service.

14 REPLIES 14
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Wouldn't let me renew Line Rental Saver

This issue has been repeatedly reported on these forums for some time - it seems to be one of the peculiarities of the "new" billing system introduced last September or October. As it is apparently such a common issue, you would think that Plusnet would change something to avoid the problem and all the customer frustration and waste of staff time that arises from it. But then, Plusnet do not always do what seems sensible.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @Ray385

Thank you for getting in touch regarding the issues you are having relating to your Line Rental Saver, I appreciate that this is causing you concern looking to the future of the products aligning correctly. At this stage as you say it is difficult for ourselves and the Customer Support Team to provide you with a full explanation of how we will ensure the products align back together due to issues preventing us seeing the billing pages as you mentioned.

I assure you and @jgb that there are a number of engineers in our Incident Management Team who are working to resolve this issue. I appreciate that as you say @jgb issues such as this may cause frustration and I can advise this is actively being worked and we will contact anyone effected as soon as a resolution is put in place.

Ray385
Dabbler

Hi Warwick

The primary issue is before taking out Line Rental Saver I want to have both products aligned. Not a vague promise that it will be sorted out when your software engineers come up with a permanent fix.

If this issue has been there for the last 10 or 11 months as @jgb suggests, what is the workaround being offered to customers like me now. As I printed off a copy of todays bill I was able tell the Customer Support Member what had been billed and he fully understood the nature of the problem he just didn't know the answer. Do you?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Ray385,

LRS is available to be added now. It couldn't be added previously because you had a product change in place, so we were unable add the LRS (which runs separately to the broadband) until after that change completed. Adding it now will set the contract end to be the same as the broadband if that's on a 12 month contract too, if it's on an 18 month contract then it's not possible to align them.

Ray385
Dabbler

The bill produced yesterday included one months line rental at £18.99. If I take out LRS now it covers a 12 month period, so together with the one month billed that's 13 months. How does your system ensure that LRS will finish on 8 August 2020? Will the current bill be cancelled and a new one issued or will the £18.99 be credited on the next bill?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Ray385 

Sorry for the issues with renewing your line rental saver for the same end date as your contract term. Unfortunately this can be a bit difficult sometimes to keep them in sync as line rental saver isn't part of a minimum term contract, it's just an option for you to save a bit of money by paying your line rental for the year in one go.

I've been thinking about this and the best way to sort this out for you would be for us to apply a credit of £2.50 to your account which is the difference between the monthly rate and the annual rate, then we remove the line rental saver component from the system re-adding it for 11 months instead of the full 12.

If you pay line rental saver and we carry out the above steps before your next bill date, this will in effect mean you'd pay for 12 months line rental at the line rental saver rate of £16.49.

Let us know when you decide to renew it and we'll put this through.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ray385
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf for coming up with a solution that keeps my contract period and Line Rental Saver in sync.

I'm happy to go ahead as you suggest and will purchase Line Rental Saver as soon as you have reset it for 11 months (i.e.£181.39) and applied the £2.50 credit for me.

Let me know when the changes have gone through and I'll go online to complete the LRS purchase so this issue can be put to bed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Ray385, I'm afraid I can't carry out those actions until line rental saver has been paid. Mainly because when you pay line rental saver it'll reset whatever action I take to apply a 11 month line rental saver contract.

Let me know once you've paid it and I'll sort this out for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ray385
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf . Just to clarify. If I purchase Line Rental Saver at £197.88 (i.e. the 12 month rate) and you then reset it to 11 months surely the credit to the account should then be £18.99? Or am I missing something.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Ray385 

Yup you're right, sorry it's been a long day so far!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ray385
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

I've just been in and completed the purchase of LIne Rental Saver so you can now make the adjustments required to ensure it runs out on 8 August 2020.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Ray385 I've just done that for you now, the end dates of both your line rental saver and contract term are both showing as the 8th August and you should receive an email to confirm the credit within 2 hours.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any further issues.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ray385
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

Many thanks for that. I'll close the open ticket once I received the account credit email.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Cool, no problem @Ray385 Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet