cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishing to leave +net..

cuke2u
Grafter

Wishing to leave +net..

Hi, I wish to leave +net after many years of good service to move to a alternative, however I have been told that I can only get my MAC by ringing CS during the day mon-fri. Is this true, surely there must be a simpler way for someone who works full time?
Cheers,
Chris
50 REPLIES 50
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wishing to leave +net..

7. How do I get a key?
You can either:
  1. Call our Customer Options Team on: 0845 140 6002. Lines are open between 9.00am-5.30pm on weekdays (except Bank Holidays).
  2. Write to us at:
   Plusnet Plc, Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
We'll then make sure that within 5 working days there's a Question on your account containing:
   * Your MAC Key
   * How long you can use the key to move to a new provider
   * Which broadband service the key will let you move
Note: we can't reply to cancellation requests made using the Help Assistant. Please contact our Customer Options team on the telephone number above who will be able to deal with your query.

cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, thanks for your reply, however you seem to have missed the part where I wrote' a simpler way', none of those are particuary suitable or quicker. Perhaps +net is making it difficult to leave as other ISP's have a request button within their sites...
Chris
Not applicable

Can see your point, particularly if you are working and now always near a telephone or computer.  However, if you pick this up soon the call queue is only one.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

cuke2u,
I'm sorry but we only accept cancellations via phone or letter.
If you go for the latter option we'll start the notice period from the date the letter is sent.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cuke2u
Grafter

Adam, I'm sorry too as I tried ringing at 17:15 today, made the correct selection only to be told I had the wrong department, I was then transfered to CS who promptly told me it was too late to get a MAC, what rubbish is this? I was also misinformed that it could take up to four days, again isn't this incorrect as MAC's should be able to be generated there and then e-mailed shouldn't it?
Look all  I just want to do is leave with the minimum of fuss without having to waste my time trying to get a simple task completed.
Chris
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The OFCOM rules give ISPs up to 5 days from the date of request to issue a MAC code.
mitchell20
Grafter

Having to call and actually speak to someone to cancel is pretty much standard practice these days with broadband/mobile and other communication companies.  It's all down to revenue protection and retention i.e. they will often try and retain your by offering something to not cancel.
Mind you saying that, PN never tried to offer me anything when I rang for my MAC today - the hardest part was convincing them I did actually need to MAC to migrate to Sky LLU for broadband only.
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, yes and I also understand that, however when I did call it was through to the wrong dept, no fault of mine as I dialed the correct number and chose the correct option, then they said, at 17:35, it was to late. Sorry but if they really wanted to keep me then this isn't the right way to go about it. I also know about the OFCOM rules, the internet being the wonderful thing it is, however it incorrect to say that is how long it would actually take. My take is that I am being lied to, so glad I want to leave, so sorry that +net want to make it end in this patronising way after so many years of good service.  😞
Chris
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you were told on the 27th that you can send a letter and that would count as you first day of notice when posted, so you have already wasted three days

Next you say that 17:35 is not late to ring to an office that shuts at 17:30
DeltaAlpha

I have to agree with the original post that it is such a shame that you cannot close an account on line.
You can upgrade without issue so it must be a way to hang onto customers - which is a shame since I was with force 9 at the start and changing from paid to unpaid dialup was never an issue.
It is also taking the mike that they charge £25 to disconnect you  Sad  - when if you fail to pay your bill they are quick enough to cut you off !
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have the ADSL service on your line terminated, BT charge Plusnet - I don't think it's unreasonable for Plusnet to pass that charge on.
If you migrate out to another ISP there is no charge.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cuke2u
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you were told on the 27th that you can send a letter and that would count as you first day of notice when posted, so you have already wasted three days

Next you say that 17:35 is not late to ring to an office that shuts at 17:30

Hi, go read my posts again, then maybe you might have something useful to say, I actually rang them at 17:15 and was connected to the wrong department, then I had to wait another 5 mins or so for them for CS to answer. I would have thought that 5 mins over the time would make little difference to company that should care about its customers. Sounds like you might work for CS with that attitude.
My partner is going to try and ring from school this morning, after this debacle I hope +net resolve the issue and let me go..
Chris
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, having finally managed to get through I was informed my MAC would be with me, take up to 5 days and be sent to my main plusnet account. So I was suprised to find this in my ticket, "Your Help Assistant Question is now being placed on hold. The next action on your Question will be 04-02-2011".  As I said before, there is no need for it to take this long http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&biw=1276&bih=793&q=how+long+to+generate+mac&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=b2d...
So why do plusnet drag this process out when there is no need?
Chris
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Chris,
We use the 5 day period as a means of ensuring we get to talk to our customers who are asking to cancel. As I've mentioned in another post already today we can't stop you from leaving if your mind is made up but we are interested to find out why you want to leave and if there is anything at all we can do to change your mind. I'm sorry I can't push through the MAC key any quicker but you will get it within the 5 day lead time.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team