cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will "renewing my contract" to sign up for 18 months change my broadband?

FIXED
LordFox
Rising Star

Will "renewing my contract" to sign up for 18 months change my broadband?

I'm paranoid about making changes in case anything actually changes.

I can sign up for an 18-month contract (I'm currently not in a fixed period) with my existing Unlimited Fibre Extra to save some cash. Will it only change the billing details, and not change anything whatsoever to do with my actual FTTC connection or IP settings?

I really don't want to lose my current IP block.

I've been staring at the "Start your order" button for half an hour 🤔

8 REPLIES 8
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Will "renewing my contract" to sign up for 18 months change my broadband?

@LordFox  Are you saying you have a block of static IPs? If so I would be very cautious about renewing your contract online. You need to get confirmation from Plusnet that your IPs will not be affected, that might be difficult as I suspect most first line support will have never come across an account with multiple static IPs as they are pretty rare. Maybe an experienced staff member such as @Gandalf could help you with this. Best of luck.😊

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Definitely a rare breed of accounts (an IP block on a residential account is almost unheard of nowadays). As long as you don't change the broadband product you're on, there'll be no changes to your service itself.  Even if you do decide to downgrade you'll keep your IPs although your speeds will obviously change.

If you can post back once you've put the recontract through, I'll be happy to check up on it.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LordFox
Rising Star

Thank you Gandalf. I've just now put through the change; says it should 'go live' tomorrow'. I would appreciate you just making sure for me regarding my IP block.

I know my IPv4 block is rare. It's the main reason I won't move from PN (although I've no reason to anyway; service here has been great for 13 years!)

Even though I have a gazillion IPv6 addresses via HE (got to love those /48 allocations), I value my /29 IPv4 more!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Nice! No problem @LordFox 

The renewal looks good so far, if you can poke me tomorrow when it completes I'll be happy to check again Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LordFox
Rising Star

I've had the "Change Complete" email and my IP block is still intact 😅

Thanks for the reassurance Gandalf - much appreciated. I know (well, guess) that changing my billing details shouldn't have a knock-on effect on my IP block, but I always get paranoid about making any changes because of it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Excellent! The system works. 

Joking aside, it's good to see and no problem at all. 

Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LordFox
Rising Star

So much for going smoothly...

I got my next bill today. Instead of going down, it's been totally messed up and gone up by about £13.

After telephoning and talking to support I'm none the wiser.

I've been offered a refund (well, two, the first was too low so I had to argue) but don't know if I need to wait until the incorrect amount is taken in 9-10 days and then ring back and go through it all again, or if it will just be refunded. I got the distinct impression that support didn't really have a clue what my bill should be.

It's not complicated: Broadband charge (5 days at my old rate I guess + month's remainder at the new, discounted rate) + Line rental (zero, already paid yearly) + Evening/Weekends call package (£4.50) + £0.91 calls = in the region of £23.50. Not £40!

pnbill.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Looks like the system hasnt recognised that you've got an active Line Rental saver and has charged line rental

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.