cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will FTTP activation disconnect my FTTC with Plusnet

jamesireland

Will FTTP activation disconnect my FTTC with Plusnet

I am looking to get FTTP connection at home.  Sadly this is not available through PlusNet so I am having to source it from another company.  I am currently on PlusNet FTTC connection.  

Apparently OpenReach will need to terminate the fibre into a socket in my house to finish the connection but it is available.

My question is, if I have a company connect me to FTTP, will this automatically cancel my FTTC connection with PlusNet at the same time?

Reason I ask, I am hoping to keep it live so I can then transfer my current telephone number to a VOIP provider.

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Will FTTP activation disconnect my FTTC with Plusnet

@jamesireland 

OpenReach need to install an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) in your property. See the following

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mi...

As it's a pure FTTP connection it would (should) be possible to keep your PlusNet connection active as they would know nothing about your FTTP service. You'd end up paying for two services for a while.

Then, once your FTTP is working you can see about porting your phone number to a VOIP. Are you in contract with PlusNet as termination charges might apply. Note I believe that few companies supply a internet connection only FTTP service (Zen are one) though things may have changed recently. Last time I checked the saving from Zen between FTTP only and FTTP/Phone were minimal - a couple of quid.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jamesireland

@bmc Thanks  for the reply.

I am out of contract with PlusNet in the middle of this month. Zen are indeed the company I am looking to get my FTTP connection with.  I did not see an option for a phone on their website so I am going with SIP.

I was hoping it would work as you stated, so get my FTTP connection done which should take 6-8weeks, and then once its in place put through the number port and cancel my account.

Thanks again.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@jamesireland 

I believe PlusNet will put you on a standard 30 day contract if you don't re-contract.

I just checked my address on Zen. Their website has a setting near the top of the results page for Home Broadband & Phone or Broadband only. On the 40/10 Package it appears to £10.00 extra for the phone service.

Brian