cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why will PN not allow me to subscribe as a new customer to ADSL

dcdick
Hooked

Why will PN not allow me to subscribe as a new customer to ADSL

As stated, I have tried to sign up to the ADSL service as sponsored by MSM which includes a £50 cash back & is open until 16mar.

The bloke in the call center said this was unavailable & denied there was any "cashback offers" live when I called (26mar) then tried to sell me a fibre package.

He even went so far as to say that "we've been on the phone now for 20mins it's time to do a deal"

I'm currently with BT using their Infinity fibre & now have no need for "superfast" speeds

Is there a reason (tech or otherwise) why PN will not give me what (as a new customer) I was wanting ?

That is ADSL with a phone line & calls ?

Confused.com Crazy2

Dick.

I'm 

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Why will PN not allow me to subscribe as a new customer to ADSL

Is there any reason why you can't sign up online?

Do you get a particular error?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dcdick
Hooked

No errors seen Mathew

When I log in to the PN site it just does not show any ADSL options on screen after I give my Postcode & phone number

Like wise with the call centre I was told it was not an option for me & then he switched into selling mode to try & get me to sign up

Still confused about this & not happy with the call centre for ignoring my wishes & trying to push me into fibre

Dick.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Any chance you can PM me your address?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dcdick
Hooked

Anybody got any ideas ?

Dick.

Chrome
Dabbler

I would say there is a concerted effort across the industry to get people signed up to fibre instead of ADSL

What Ofcom would say about this I don't know.

The reason why this might be the case is because the public tend to ascribe a higher value to fibre, and thus will pay a higher amount for it. Maybe also it's the additional services that can be sold alongside fibre that ADSL will struggle with.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the only technical reason for ADSL being unavailable might be if the FTTC cabinet is part of the Long Reach VDSL2 (LR-VDSL) trial, but I am not sure on exactly which ADSL services will have to be migrated to FTTC and which ones will be allowed but adversely affected by the LR-VDSL signals.

dcdick
Hooked

Your right of course Chrome .......................after checking the deals on offer the price of ADSL is rising so much as to be a bit of a pointless exercise anyway

There is no tech reason in my situation not to supply ADSL.........

It's just that when I tried to sign up for ADSL it shows me the splash screen (with a £50 cashback) then when I check with my tel/post code details the only options I have available are  fibre.

It's like looking in a shop window & deciding to buy a product & finding out when you go inside that you can only buy the "premium" version because of who you are.

All a bit strange to say the least.

Dick. 

dcdick
Hooked

@ejs wrote:

I think the only technical reason for ADSL being unavailable might be if the FTTC cabinet is part of the Long Reach VDSL2 (LR-VDSL) trial, but I am not sure on exactly which ADSL services will have to be migrated to FTTC and which ones will be allowed but adversely affected by the LR-VDSL signals.

Agreed

ADSL is available at our street  cabinet  with capacity marked as "available" on the BT diagnostic screen & in my case there are no tech reasons not to supply, so it can only be financial (greed) reasons

I'm in my notice period with BT & was almost certain to sign up to PN but having second thoughts now even though I'm more or less resigned to continuing to use fibre.

Really don't know what to think about PN now.

Dick

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Quote fixed.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Other things to consider, without knowing anything about your situation I don't know if any are applicable to you:

The Chelsea exchange is closing (landlord not renewing BT's lease). So there's a big drive to migrate people to FTTC there (although I suppose all the affected phone lines will have to be connected to other exchanges for the phone service anyway).

If you're outside of Plusnet's low-cost areas (that is, if you are in Market A), then Plusnet's prices are higher and their offers tend to be similarly less good.

Another thing which might start happening, if ISPs have to start advertising the average speed their customers on a particular package get, is that ISPs won't want to take on customers with low speeds. But I don't believe Plusnet have adopted such a policy.

dcdick
Hooked

I'm in the "low cost area" 

It's clear to me that if I have an existing fibre connection when I switch in as a new customer, that's all PN will allow me to have.

I am however offered the choice of standard or extra speeds in fibre.

The cost of ADSL seems to be rising as well 

It's a "take it or leave it" thing with PN.....their business their rules Smiley

Dick.