cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should I be charged when a refund is due?

jmd
Grafter

Why should I be charged when a refund is due?

I asked about my refund for phone line rental/calls on my ticket as my payment is generalyl taken after 3rd of month and I was concerned that my direct debit would still be taken next week.  I left Plusnet phone rental/calls on 20th July so calculated I was due a refund of half the month.
I received a reply to say that charges would TAKEN following that date!  Obviously, the person has not read what I asked about and failed to recognise that a REFUND was due not a charge.
I would be pleased if someone could check this as I was tiold not to stop the direct debit as a refund would be returned via that but am now concerned that Plusnet accounts will take another month's money off me and I will then wait weeks for a refund!
The refund for by Broadband came through the Direct Debit details but took 8 days.  This seems rather long when it is all done electronically.
16 REPLIES 16
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why should I be charged when a refund is due?

Sorry about that, we leave your telephone component on your account for 14 days to ensure that any calls are allocated correctly. After this date your component is removed. If everything doesn't square up after that time then please let us know.
jmd
Grafter

Not sure why you have to wait 14 days when I had inclusive calls on a anytime pckage.  the problem being that the 14 days coincides with my next billing date so that is why I asked for it to be looked at before then but nobody seems to bother with the ticket apart from making a comment that is not relevant [eg charges!]
jmd
Grafter

I had another response to ticket whch told me to phone Customer Options [on a previous call told me to ring Customer Service] and ask for account to be closed - this has already been done and that is why I keep being told the "charges" will be taken even though accounts/customer service seem to ignore the comment I have made about refund.
14 days is up tomorrow according to my calendar so will see what happens next!!
jmd
Grafter

Well, now informed ticket closed and refund in process.  I queried the amount of refund but am informed it is correct.  I paid £17.24 a month for phone line rental/calls/caller display and half of that [14 days] is apparently £7.58................. my maths isn't good but?
Oh well at least I have a refund!!
jmd
Grafter

well, I thought I was getting a refund but the silly billing system seems to think that it should come via a credit card when I have a dd in place - so now I am still worried about a another dd being taken !
why can they not deal with things in a simple and businesslike manner.

I have changed to Sky and have had very clear letter and a statement from them last week showing what will be taken by them so that I know exactly what will come out of my bank next week  and I thought 2 weeks notice is very good.  But PN give you such short notice that if another DD is processed I probably won't be able to stop it!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your home phone product was removed from your account today, in line with our normal 14 day expectation. However, as your billing date is today, we added payments for this month before home phone was removed. I'll PM you about your refund amount and I'm speaking to some people in Development to try to get today's payment removed before it goes through billing, but I can't guarantee that this will happen. I can't cancel your Direct Debit because then the refund wouldn't be able to go through.
jmd
Grafter

Thank you Ben - I would prefer it if the charge did not go through and also for you to sort out refund.
I am unable now to get into the member centre to look at it myself - I have used my normal user name and password but says that they don't exist! So not sure now how I access this to check amounts etc?
Had email to confirm I have a new account - pay as you go - just for the email access but that should have been issued 2 weeks ago.
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
But PN give you such short notice that if another DD is processed I probably won't be able to stop it!

I, jelv, and others have all been trying to get Plusnet to sort this out for a long time now. The short notice period is nothing but a pain for customers whenever billing problems occur.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Be3G
Quote from: jmdlp
But PN give you such short notice...

The short notice period is nothing but a pain...

BT's billing emails, which arrive the day after the bill date, state that payment will be taken no sooner than 10 working days hence - in practice it's usually 12 to 13. Most organisations seem to manage DDs in a similar way.
Can PN offer any reason why they can't do the same?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Be3G
Grafter

I've just been made aware that there's already a discussion about notification periods taking place in a Home Phone thread, so probably best we continue such discussions in that thread to save having two similar discussions taking place in parallel.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and also here  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87794.0.html  all six pages of it,  and Ben is giving a different answer to Adam
jmd
Grafter

Well, thanks to Ben who has sorted out my refund and closing the account so I don't get charged again - he has been very very good!
and now my email is re-opened on the free pay as you go too!
Be3G
Grafter

You just beat me to it pierre_pierre. Smiley
Glad to hear your problem's sorted now too jmdip.
jmd
Grafter

well, as long as the refunds arrive in my bank as promised I am sorted!!