cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not 1-port Wireless Router for Option 1?

jws
Dabbler

Why not 1-port Wireless Router for Option 1?

I am in the process of referring a relative.  Their usage pattern absolutely matches Option 1.  Option 1 provides a 1-port router, and Option 2 now provides a 1-port Wireless Router.  The stated cost of these is identical - £29.99.  So how do I explain to them the reason why they are not both available to choose from for both options?
Some people would like the ability to move their laptop around their house.  Others would be pleased to avoid the security issues with wireless.
The FAQ does not yet address the new 1-port router option.  It answers a question based on the 4-port Wireless Router:
Can I pay an extra fee to upgrade the to the wireless router instead of the included 1 port router?
No – The hardware offered free of charge is based on the spending commitment you make initially.

This suggests that it's the cost of the hardware that makes the difference.  But now the 1-port router and 1-port wireless router have the same cost.  So why not let Option 1 and 2 people choose between them?
My relative (and I) will be slightly disgruntled if we end up having to buy this 4-port Wireless Router at £28.11 (£23.92 to you excluding VAT - retail) and enshrining your 1-port non-wireless router on a shelf - tribute to inexplicable marketing.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=4126
So do you have an answer, please?
9 REPLIES 9
jerryw
Grafter

Re: Why not 1-port Wireless Router for Option 1?

A post in another thread seems to have answered your points, with which I agree:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=318.0
Jerry
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've raised this with our Product Development team.  Currently we only have a limited amount of Voyager 2091's (1 port wireless routers).  We are looking into the equipment we supply per account and will see if we can come to a suitable arrangement.
Regarding timescales, it isn't something that is going to change overnight, but once there are further details available, I'll be sure to let you know.
jws
Dabbler

Thank you for your reply, James.
As it happens, my relatives are about to spend 3 months in Australia with their son, and so there will be a 3-month delay before they sign up to PlusNet.
Perhaps things will be different by then...
Thanks again,
John
blackrat999
Grafter

slightly off topic i know but i have set up two of these routers for referals and they are great piece of kit for a simple router, first time i have seen one that comes pre secured, great idea for the beginner to set up as most people who dont know better leave them unsecured.
skeggie

Quote from: jerryw
A post in another thread seems to have answered your points, with which I agree:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=318.0
Jerry

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/118662
Hmmmmmm Linksys (well Cisco now - but that's even better)
Update to the £70 I got about 18mths ago. Now less than half that. ADSL2+ for when BT finally get round to 21CN to provide decent speeds - and best of all fantastic Linksys support.
Couldn't get wireless bit working with sep. access point, so plugged direct to Ethernet, went online, and checked live help. Waiting about 30 secs for an advisor to log onto my session and take me through the configs I'd missed. At 7pm on a Sunday night!!!!!
Yes the Dynamode are £5 cheaper, and I do use Dynamode wireless print servers at work very successfully (just try finding a linksys parallel printer server ...), but for the support I had on the initial home install, I'ld easily pay the extra fiver for.
my 2p
Skeg
godsell4
Rising Star

For real cheap equipment, see http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/ although they claim an item maybe 2nd hand or returned, everything I have had from them so far has been shrink wrapped and original.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Not applicable

I have just  followed a link to read about Plusnet's new award (congratulations) and noticed that one this page there is a an advert for Option 1 including a one-port wireless router worth £64 free if the customer stays for 12 months.  Am I correct or is it a mistake?  I only ask because I raised a question about this only a few weeks ago when I set up one of my referrals on this package and was told that it couldn't be supplied unless I paid the full price. 
I ended up not taking any hardware and buying a Linksys router. She will certainly be a long-term customer so if this is the case, I am a bit niggled as I have just wasted quite a bit of money.
LiamM
Grafter

Poppy,
The small print reads :-
"(Free if you stay with us for 12 months - available on Option 3 & 4) - Terms Apply."
My bold.
Maybe it should say "ONLY available on Option 3 and 4" as just because it's saying the wireless router IS available on options 3 and 4 it doesn't necessarily mean it is not available on options 1 and 2.  If you see what I'm saying.  Though I know what they mean by the print.
James
Grafter

Hi Liam,
I'm not so sure if the addition of only is really needed.  However, I will feed back to the relevant people and see if they have any thoughts on clarity.
~~Edit~~
Actually, I see what point you're making.  Bit early in the morning for me clearly Smiley