cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is free usage only 12-8am?

CuBz
Grafter

Why is free usage only 12-8am?

Just out of curiosity, why is the free usage between 12-8am? Is it because it is not used as much at these times? As some ISP's and T-Mobile lead me to believe that the times used very few are 12am-4pm with the most popular times being around 6pm
Sorry I was just curious  Roll_eyes
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Why is free usage only 12-8am?

it used to be midnight to 4 pm, and still is for those on heritage products, and indeed the accepted busy time starts at about 4 pm.
I suppose that PN thought they would clamp down during the normal working day, never seen a printed reason for the logic
CuBz
Grafter

Ah ok Thanks
I can't help but think how better it would be if it was still at those times  Sad
If there was an extra price per month for that option, I would definitely choose it
hadden
Grafter

The Plusnet usage statistics are here.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Looks like it is quiet till 12pm (12am-12pm is about the same) so they could set it to 12pm instead of 8am, however I am on unlimited and it starts slowing at 12pm  Cry
CuBz
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Looks like it is quiet till 12pm (12am-12pm is about the same) so they could set it to 12pm instead of 8am, however I am on unlimited and it starts slowing at 12pm  Cry

I would be happy with that too
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

TBH guys, I can't see this changing very quickly as it would necessitate a lot of system reconfiguration and changes to the content displayed on our site. However I like to consider myself (and my team mates) as the internal voice of the customer here at Plusnet so these considerations will discussed.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
CuBz
Grafter

Thanks adam
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem,
TBH I don't think we'd open up the off peak hours in line with the entire average times of when the network is at its least busiest but someone may want to start a poll to get an idea of just for examples sake when people would be most happy about being able to use an 8 hour window of off peak usage between 12AM and 12PM.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd like to see it moved back to 1am to 9am. At the moment I can't see a lot of extra activity early on before 8am, instead there is a massive peak at midnight as most people kick off their downloads at that time. If the off-peak finished at 9am I think it would spread the load as more people would make the effort to download early morning.
What would be ideal however is something I suspect you couldn't do, allow each person to designate their own 8 hour off-peak period between midnight and midday. They would only be able to change it monthly on billing day.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
CuBz
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
What would be ideal however is something I suspect you couldn't do, allow each person to designate their own 8 hour off-peak period between midnight and midday. They would only be able to change it monthly on billing day.

Fantastic idea! i love it! That would be awesome
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

What would be ideal however is something I suspect you couldn't do,

I'm not going to elude either way but again I will mention this idea.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team