cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Unlimited Fibre Extra not available and why am I being overcharged for Unlimited Fibre?

Zmidponk

Why is Unlimited Fibre Extra not available and why am I being overcharged for Unlimited Fibre?

A little while ago, I received an email saying that Plusnet had noticed I was on Unlimited Fibre, and not Unlimited Fibre Extra, saying they would switch me over within 10 days and work out a refund, as I had apparantly been paying too much.  I didn't keep the email, so I can't give an exact date, but this was end of January or beginning of February.  I have, so far, heard nothing more on this, so, today, I decided to check if I am on Unlimited Fibre Extra.  I saw that I was not.  I also noticed that Unlimited Fibre Extra, advertised at an average speed of 66Mbps, was available without line rental for £22.49 a month.  I am currently paying for Unlimited Fibre without line rental, advertised at an average speed of 36Mbps (though my router is actually showing I'm getting 25401kbps), for £23.49 a month, £6 more a month than is being advertised on your site.  Attempting to get any package only keeps redirecting me to the 'product change' page for existing customers - which offers me the option to keep what I have, at the price I am currently paying, or get Unlimited Fibre plus Phone.

So, topic title - why can I not get Unlimited Fibre Extra, and why am I paying £6 a month more for just Unlimited Fibre?

6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Why is Unlimited Fibre Extra not available and why am I being overcharged for Unlimited Fibre?

What does this say your estimated speeds are? I'm guessing that your estimates aren't high enough for extra which is why it isn't being shown on the product change. If you are only syncing at 25401kbps then extra wouldn't give you any more speed anyway, though that could be down to a fault.  The link above will give some detail as to if you should be able to get higher speeds than that.

The prices you'll see on the website are the introductory prices for new customers.  The product change only ever gives the standard prices, though giving the Customer Options Team a call will usually get you something close to the new customer prices if you are out of contract or soon to be.

The introductory offers change pretty regularly so they could be different to when you signed up

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zmidponk

Re: Why is Unlimited Fibre Extra not available and why am I being overcharged for Unlimited Fibre?

That site doesn't give me anything labeled 'estimated speed', this is the results:

Untitled.jpg

If that price is an introductory price, it says that absolutely nowhere, not even in any small print, which is a tad misleading, if not actually illegal under advertising laws, and, even if the higher package will not give me any extra speed, it allows me to pay less per month to get what I have already, and Plusnet have already said they were going to do this automatically, but have simply failed to do so.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

That is giving you a range of speeds from 25Mbps to 39.8Mbps. That is what they are estimating where you speed will sit.  The top of that is just below the max speed of Unlimited Fibre which will most likely be why Extra is not showing as available to you. 

Your actual speed is sitting just slightly above the bottom end of that range, so it may be worth troubleshooting it to see if you can get a bit more out of it.

As for the prices, you'll see that it says from £xx.yy a month with a 12/18 month contract.  When you continue to build your package you'll see the details of the price where it will say something like £5 a month for 12 months, then £15.99 a month thereafter. The £5 a month for broadband would be on top of £18.99 a month line rental, giving the £23.99 a month headline price for the introductory period (12 months in this case).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zmidponk

That is giving you a range of speeds from 25Mbps to 39.8Mbps. That is what they are estimating where you speed will sit.  The top of that is just below the max speed of Unlimited Fibre which will most likely be why Extra is not showing as available to you. 

If that is the case, why did Plusnet specifically say that they would switch me, and offer a refund for the extra money I have been paying which I shouldn't have been?

Your actual speed is sitting just slightly above the bottom end of that range, so it may be worth troubleshooting it to see if you can get a bit more out of it.

Thanks for that link, I might just do that.

As for the prices, you'll see that it says from £xx.yy a month with a 12/18 month contract.  When you continue to build your package you'll see the details of the price where it will say something like £5 a month for 12 months, then £15.99 a month thereafter. The £5 a month for broadband would be on top of £18.99 a month line rental, giving the £23.99 a month headline price for the introductory period (12 months in this case).

The prices given are for £17.49 a month for Unlimited Fibre and £22.49 a month for Unlimited Fibre Extra with no line rental.  This is for people who have a phone service through someone else and want just broadband through Plusnet.  Now, it is possible that the price is supposed to go up after the initial contract period ends, but this is not made clear, and doesn't explain why Plusnet actually sent me an email telling me I was on the wrong product and paying too much, so they would switch me and give me a refund (even though they have since failed to actually do so).

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I wouldn’t be able to say you got that email. I’m only a customer like you.

What I said about the pricing still stands. The headline price will have been from £x on a 12 month contract, then when building the package it will have shown £x for 12 months then £y thereafter.

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @Zmidponk, thanks for getting in touch.

I am sorry to hear that you have not had a further update since you received this email from us. I've reviewed your account and it seems that another team within the business may have been looking into the product on your account. I have emailed them for a further update and created a support ticket on your account in reference to this here

Kind Regards,