cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Plusnet store my account password in plain text?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Why does Plusnet store my account password in plain text?

Quote from: x47c
BT broadband engineers or remote testing facilities may need to log on as if it was you when using their diagnostic equipment to locate the problem.

BT engineers tend to use generic logins (bt_test_user@realm) or we can provide them with a real test account (not customer details) if required rather than provide customer details.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I think it was someone else (not PN) that suggested engineers are sometimes required to login using the customer's credentials. I did think it was somewhat bizarre that that might be the case as it blows a hole right through the whole fundamental purpose of authenticated access.
Mathew
c0ld
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
I'm not sure where bank details come into this? They are *not* stored in the same way as authentication details and when logging in to our website you can't see full details of them (neither can we here).
Well, I can only hope they are encrypted and the key necessary to decrypt them is not stored in plain text. They are bound to be kept in a related table somewhere, and accessible to the internet in some way.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

To be fair c0ld, there's enough to worry about with what we know is the case without also worrying about what may or may not! Conjecture is not going to help.
Mathew
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: c0ld
You must realise that is is merely your dbms that does the logging.

How do you know this?
I believe that the workplace application does the logging.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
c0ld
Dabbler

Can I just advise anyone reading to not make post such as mine. Since making this post, some spiteful shit at plusnet has decided to degrade my connection severely. I can only assume it is plusnet policy to fuck with customers who complain.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

That statement is complete rubbish. you need to calm down, and also stop been rude to the forum member.(jelv , who spends his own time here helping, as do many others)
If you are having problems with your broadband just ask for help in a polite manner.
You may have a fault, would be useful if you could post your router stats and do a bt speed test, and also post the results of this.
What is your setup like, are you plugged into the master socket?
Regards
Mike
adie:quote

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We don't store the credit card number.  We store a token for it which is meaningless to anyone barring Plusnet.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

As all companies are working to PCI compliance then bringing bank details into this is moot.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'