cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I pay £12-99 a month?

geoffg1
Grafter

Why do I pay £12-99 a month?

When my Sister-in-Law enquires about Plus Net Broadband, she is offered 10gb for £6.49 a month. Why, then, do I pay £12.99 a month for 10gb? She lives about 500 yards away from me and is on the same telephone exchange. Any ideas?
Geoff
21 REPLIES 21
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Why do I pay £12-99 a month?

Which market area is your exchange in? (displayed at the top when you find your exchange using http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ )
From the broadband only page:
Plusnet Value: If you live in a low cost area it costs £6.49 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £6.49 a month for the first three months, then £10.79 or £12.99 a month depending on where you live. See how we compare on price in your area.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
geoffg1
Grafter

Market 2. But surely hers is too.
Geoff
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is your sister in law still within her first three months? I suspect her monthly charge will be rising at some stage.
(I hope you got her to quote you as a referral so you got money off your monthly charge!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
Quote from: geoffg
When my Sister-in-Law enquires about Plus Net Broadband, she is offered 10gb for £6.49 a month. Why, then, do I pay £12.99 a month for 10gb? She lives about 500 yards away from me and is on the same telephone exchange.

We have had a recent offer where we have been offering Market 2 customers Market 3 prices. I imagine that's what it will be.
Jojo Smiley
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/low_cost_areas.shtml
2. What's a Low Cost Area?
Market 2 and Market 3 exchanges are classed as Low Cost Areas for residential accounts.
Market 3 exchanges are classed as Low Cost Areas for business accounts.
The increased competition in these exchanges allows us to offer better prices on our broadband packages in these areas.
(Before 12th July 2011, we only considered market 3 exchanges as low cost areas for residential accounts.)

Plusnet do not appear to have been very open and honest about the reduction in price for existing customers on a market 2 exchange. They need to contact Plusnet to have their monthly price reduced (which has been available since 12 July 2011)  whilst new customers on a market 2 exchange automatically qualify for the new price.
geoffg1
Grafter

I contacted Plus Net Customer Support this morning and have an email telling me that my monthly billing has been reduced.
"I have now changed the pricing for your Value package to �6.49 per month."
Result I'd say!!
Geoff Smiley
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Being on Market 1 this is the only thing that hacks me off with PN,  being charged twice as much as some for the same service.
matt_2k34
Grafter

being charged twice as much

unfortunately thats because the wholesale cost is different on a Market 2/3 exchange, to that on a Market 1 exchange...

Pressure from OFCOM might help, but BT has to make money somehow  Grin
Regards
elkieluca
Grafter

Jumping on the bandwagon here thanks to this post. I have asked the support team to let me go onto the cheaper rate as well as I am on Market 2.  I see I could have asked for this months ago if I had known. But better late than never. I'll let you know if I get it.
edit: 5 minutes later I have had an answer and I am now on £6.49 from my next payment on the 12th.  How good is that!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It definitely pays to check the latest product offerings regularly on the main site also any announcements on the community site and then call if you think you're entitled to a better deal.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Mayfly]Being on Market 1 this is the only thing that hacks me off with PN,  being charged twice as much as some for the same service.
No, it's worse than just that !   Shocked
The chances are that if you are unfortunate enough to be on a Market-1 exchange (like me), then you are also likely to be last in line to be upgraded to 21CN, and probably NEVER to get fibre.   Embarrassed
So not only are we currently paying TWICE as much as the people on Market-2/3, but we are stuck indefinitely with "up to 8Mbps" while everyone else gets "up to 24Mbps" - so only receiving a THIRD of the service as well !   Angry

If life was fair, then us Market-1 customers on 20CN, should be paying 2/3 the subscription of a Market-3 customer on 21CN    Roll_eyes
elkieluca
Grafter

Sorry purleigh,  I didn't  mean to upset the market 1 people.
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAaaaarrrgggghhhhhh !!!!!  Damn you BT !   Angry   Angry   Angry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its OFCOM trying to get TT interested in you