cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why a charge to leave when I'm out of contract?????

wavedancer

Why a charge to leave when I'm out of contract?????

My phone contract ends 12/7 and I'm switching to Sky on 13/7 - I've paid line rental until August so I''l lose a month but that's ok as Sky is so much cheaper. But...why have I received an email saying I'll be charged another £2.41 as I'm leaving before the end of my contract (not the money - the principle) - yet another billing error by Plusnet?  I wouldn't be losing a months line rental if Plusnet hadn't messed up the billing when I joined! NOT HAPPY

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Why a charge to leave when I'm out of contract?????

@wavedancer wrote:

I'm switching to Sky on 13/7

I received an email saying I'll be charged another £2.41 as I'm leaving before the end of my contract

Is that amount a specific charge item or is it a net charge?

"Switching to Sky" might be part of the issue as that involves a switch within the exchange to LLU which typically incurs a BTOR service charge to the losing supplier which they will pass on to you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wavedancer

No idea what you are talking about - abbreviations are meaningless - but I'm guessing the key line in the email is

"As you're moving your phone service before the end of your minimum term, you'll need to pay a charge for the remaining months."

Doesn't sound like a line moving issue does it?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sorry, though these are common enough terms...

LLU = Local Loop Unbundling - refers to the removal of a phone line by BTOR from the BT network to that of a third party's network - applicable specifically to SKY & Talk Talk - that move incurs costs

BTOR = BT Openreach - the division of the BT Group responsible for all infrastructure between the exchange and the premises as used by all Communication Providers (CP) and Internet Service Providers (ISP) for the delivery of service

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wavedancer

Thanks for that - hopefully Plusnet will be able to confirm what the charge is for

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Switching to Sky may lead to a cessation charge of £30, not £2.41 which looks like a charge in lieu of the notice period.

Even though the contract is about to end, you still need to give a months notice.

Should you wish to cancel at the end of the minimum term, you will still need to give the required notice.

You can see full details here regarding cancellation.