cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why 7 days between previous owner and new connection?

KrisWragg
Dabbler

Why 7 days between previous owner and new connection?

Hi,
I have just called to move my services to my new house. We are moving in on the 16th but apparently you cannot connect us until the 23rd because the previous owners don't disconnect until the 16th and there has to be at least a week between the dates.
I don't understand what the problem is exactly, the previous owners are with PlusNet so I'm not sure why you have to leave a week between disconnecting them and connecting us, I can understand a day so that the services do not overlap, but a week apart seems like some antiquated blast from the past.
Is it possible to to bring it forward so we aren't without a phone line and internet for a week?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why 7 days between previous owner and new connection?

Hi, as far as I'm aware this is an Ofcom regulation - there has to be the period of time in between to give the previous line owners chance to cancel any orders if they change their mind (at least I believe that's the reason for it).
Sorry that we can't bring it forward for you though.
avatastic
Grafter

With the line already tagged as Plusnet is there a possibility it may still just work, since the line will be sending on the authentication to the correct place anyway (assuming the OP has an already active Bb account)?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
James
Grafter

Working line takeovers take a minimum of 2 weeks.  It gives the losing service provider an opportunity to cancel the order if it was placed in error.
It's Ofcom General Condition 24.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Once a cease has completed, there's nothing stopping a new owner from placing an order. It sounds to me like there is a cease in flight with a 7 day lead time?
Edit: A working line takeover order so James' comment about GC24 is the one to read Smiley
KrisWragg
Dabbler

But the previous supplier is Plusnet, so the losing service provider is Plusnet. So as I said before I'm not sure what the problem is moving from one account to another at the same address, I can understand a day inbetween so no overlap in service.
James
Grafter

It's not so much the point about who the ISP is (think about BT Retail having had the majority of the phone line share) but about the fact that it is a different account holder.
It's a measure in place to try and reduce the likelihood of a line being taken over erroneously (slammed).
KrisWragg
Dabbler

I have read through Ofcoms regulations, it nowhere mentions any given timescales just that you have to ensure that you protect against customers being switched without their knowledge (slammed)
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/policy/narrowband/statement.pdf
Given that the previous customer has already agreed a cancellation date with Plusnet of 16th December (confirmed by your customer support rep on the telephone), and that we have exchanged contracts to buy the house and complete on the 16th so they will legally no longer live there. I see no reason why they could be slammed and why you couldn't switch our service on the 17th December?
Sorry if I am being picky / arsey, but I just find it silly that things take so long in 2013 when we have all this fancy technology and it concerns me that if things are supposed to go live on 23rd December and something goes wrong that we will be stuck over Christmas / New Year without a phone / internet.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, the period James mentions is the "Transfer period" - if you check the Definitions section, specifically point n:
"Transfer Period” means the period of 10 Working Days from before a customer’s order can be activated.
Hope that clears things up for you.