Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Screen of death

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: White Screen of death

Hi @Anonymous, I agree with your comments. As I've mentioned previously, I've been developing software commercially for 40 years (I'm a CEng in IT development) so I also know how projects should be managed and software developed/upgraded. Plusnet management do need to accept that they have a problem and get a grip on it - so far there hasn't been any visible progress on a number of different problems.

I had said that I'd have a go at debugging just what's happening at the client end of Plusnet's system over Christmas. I did actually start that, but came to my senses and instead I spent the time updating my backup MX server (I don't trust Plusnet's e-mail system at all). I have tried to PM you about this, but I now always get an error stating that I've exceeded the allowed number of PMs (I think I've sent about 5 ever).

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I we know nothing about their development process, I would have assumed that the Test Manager would have looked at the Apache logs (or their variant) to get an insight in to what OSs and Browsers were being used by the majority of users then build a set of Virtual Test machines using the information, but it would appear that is is not the case.

It could of course be the case that the appearance of the white space is not browser related at all, but is account / user / condition specific and related to the billing process service executable(s).

But equally, a properly staged test environment would have shown this long before the system went in to production.

P.S. You may not have been able to send me a PM as up until recently I had them turned off.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I think it is actually broken in several different ways.

• There is a problem with the presentation of the content to the client browser - there are many files downloaded even for simple pages, large stylesheets, and numerous trackers. Some of these fail in some browsers. There are some items that fail to download - different browsers respond in different ways to timeouts.
  • I have one account where the bill selector takes 15-30 minutes to appear. Initially it manifests as the widely reported white-screen issue, but eventually the bills do usually appear - and I suspect that may be the case for some other people too were they to wait long enough. That suggests a problem in the back-end system to me.
  • I have another account where there are no products in the back-end system at all - that of course never displays anything much. I haven't ever had a bill for that account, and can't get an invoice for the initial payment, which is going to be a problem with my business accounts! The next bill is reported as being due on 8th October 2018...

How any of this was considered production ready I just don't know!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As per my reply here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/White-Screen-of-death/td-p/1606564/page/3

We're working to get the issues fixed and I'll make sure we add updates here as soon as we have them. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikejphillips
Grafter

Well - you are actually on page 2!! - AND that was Wednesday! How about sending out bills? Is that beyond the technology of this ISP?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @mikejphillips

I do sincerely apologise if you're affected by this issue.

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to escalate this matter but we'll continue to work to fix this as soon as we can.

Thanks everyone for their continued patience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RPi_User
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

Could you or any other member of the PlusNet Help Team, please add me to the 'White Screen of Death' problem account list.

I have tried to access my billing and most other menus within my member centre, and all I can view is a white screen.

I have tried 4 different pc browsers and mobile devices, cleared the history, cache and cookies. Nothing works !!

Regards

Garry

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have the same issue here, I did post a question but I have been directed here.

After several years with no real issues PN seem to be falling apart. First my TV service had issues and now I can't even see what I will be paying this month. It's all starting to look a bit Talk Talk.

Trying to contact Customer Services to get them to email me my bill with a full breakdown but chat is offline and on the phone it is over 25 minutes AGAIN!!!!

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Come on Plusnet. This is a wholly unacceptable situation. It is a fundamental and basic function for a customer to be able to see their bill.

I can only assume you are not giving this the priority it deserves as it should really have been resolved by now.

I would urge everyone to make a complaint to the regulator in regards to this. Maybe that is the only language that Plusnet will understand and give them the motivation to get it resolved.

In the meantime, please email my bill to me which I have now been unable to see for over a week.

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Good grief ... I unleashed a monster with my opening post - it appears I am not the only one with this problem. 4 pages already and my Inbox usually "quiet" to say the least has never been as busy !

I only asked the question initially because I wanted to look at my Bill - and PN could not look at it either. I have just tried again but got the "White screen of death" again so I still dont know the answer to my question because I cant see my Bill

Surely there must be some way of resolving an issue like this !

isolarion72
Dabbler

It's absolutely absurd. I had to phone plusnet to find out why I couldn't see any of my account details and the bloke said the problem's being worked on but had no idea when it would be fixed. What the hell is going on and why isn't there some notice up on the website acknowledging the problem and detailing what's being done to fix it?

I need to see my account details. It's just ridiculous.Totally unprofessional.

isolarion72
Dabbler

Recently I've been using 0844 numbers to make what I thought were cheap international calls. I've just had an email from plusnet telling me that those numbers are not covered in any of their call packages, so I've spent a lot more money than I thought I did. If I'd been able to access my recent calls on the website I would have been able to see this.

So I've lost a significant amount of money because Plusnet don't have a working website and I'm not happy about this.

Please could I have a response to this post?

VinceMarsters
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Can my account be added to the list off affected accounts please? I have been able to access my account for months, but after receiving my latest bill email (and see it is higher than normal), I decided to check out my bill, except this bug means I cannot.

taj_bach
Dabbler

As above, please add my name to the list. My problem is identical to that in Corringhams Post 48. Oddly it makes me feel a little better that someone else has the same problem.

Help desk can't help. Last week I narrowly avoided disappearing up my own router when I succeeded in doing a full circle and returning to the person I first spoke to.

I am also developing a phobia to Plusnet jingles. Could you try something else - Beethovens 9th would be about right.

RRM
Rising Star

Awesome! Apparently my problem is fixed, my billing and contract has been sorted ... “the breakdown is in the ticket (link to white screen of death)”.
Which I can’t see!!!😩