cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is an 'upgrade' actually a downgrade?

elementaltm
Rising Star

When is an 'upgrade' actually a downgrade?

Hi,
I need assistance to determine if upgrading from: "Force9 Broadband Your Way Option 4" to "Plusnet Extra" is in my best interests, after all traffic management and prioritization seem exactly the same...
I did start to upgrade my account via. the website but hesitated when it didn't seem to give the the option to choose the "Plusnet Pro Add-on"... does this option become available to me after I upgrade to Plusnet Extra?  Huh
Also I currently have a static IP but Plusnet Extra only allocates dynamic IP's unless I upgrade to the Plusnet Pro Add-on. Does this mean a forced changed in static IP?
Lastly I currently have "Max Premium"  upgrade for faster upstream speeds (up to 832kbps) and a higher priority on the BT Wholesale network. Would  I loose this by this upgrade?
Thanks in advance. e.tm
KABOOM!
17 REPLIES 17
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: When is an 'upgrade' actually a downgrade?

Traffic shaping on Extra is not exactly the same as BBYW 4, the non-interactive protocols like P2P are more restricted in the evening peak hours. However the product is considerably cheaper and offers an additional 20GB bandwidth allowance.
You wouldn't lose anything if you upgrade from a legacy product. Your static IP and Max Premium will be retained. Both options are available on Extra anyway. The Pro Add-on can't be selected within the Product Change process. Once the new product is live (next billing date) the Pro Add-on becomes available on the Add-ons page. It can be selected at any time and takes effect almost immediately. A pro-rata charge for the rest of the current month is added to the following month's bill (along with the £5 charge for the upcoming month). The pro-rata charge will be the full amount if the Add-on is activated on billing date.
Changing product seems a good move to me, especially with the Pro Add-on. You get more bandwidth, and line speed at all times for a cheaper price than you are paying now.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and although you keep your features, it is best to do a manual contact to request that, the auto has been known to drop them, Adam nornaly does it OK
elementaltm
Rising Star

Thanks spraxyt and pierre_pierre. How do I contact Adam directly? which team is he in? Smiley
KABOOM!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the forum support team, he will be on tomorrow
Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
elementaltm
Rising Star

Ok thanks, I'd be grateful if you also could keep an eye out for him and pass him my way.
KABOOM!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There were problems with the automated Product Change process at one time when moving from legacy products but it should work OK now. I used it when I changed from PAYG to Extra and it worked fine.
David
elementaltm
Rising Star

So what's the general consensus then, to use the online tool? I can't afford anything to f'up.  Tongue
KABOOM!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I would use the automated tool then follow up with a question asking that the fixed IP be retained.
Regarding Max Premium - with the new product you may be better going for an uncapped upstream on ADSL2+
Does your exchange show as having 21CN enabled http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Finally - if you make the request with a couple of weeks before your month end you will have time to ensure everything is in shape before it happens
elementaltm
Rising Star

Unfortunately my exchange THTAD is not 21CN enabled. Where does that leave me?
KABOOM!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you need the higher upstream then you will need to retain the Premium option.
I don't remember this coming up before so I would wait for a rep to respond on Monday
In the meantime I will flag this thread up
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I upgraded from PAYG to Extra with Pro add-on and I also have Max Premium. There was no issue with the Max Premium and I didn't have to do anything about keeping the same static IP either.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
If you need the higher upstream then you will need to retain the Premium option.
I don't remember this coming up before so I would wait for a rep to respond on Monday
In the meantime I will flag this thread up

Thanks, Oj. Smiley
KABOOM!
Anonymous
Not applicable

edit: Removed (Sorry Adam !)  Embarrassed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

elemental.tm,
For account changes such as this I'd recommend raising a ticket which I can see you've now done anyway....
Let me know if you encounter any problems from here.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team