cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the catch?

alans

What's the catch?

My father is currently on an old style account - "PlusNet Broadband Pay As You Go", which has a limit of 2GB per month. 
I see now he could get "Broadband Value" with a 10GB limit for a third of the price.  So there must be a catch.  What is it?  E.g. does it involve changing landline phone provider?
Cheers
Alan
6 REPLIES 6
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: What's the catch?

The main difference is that the newer "Value" product has much more traffic shaping applied to it. You can compare the two products:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
The £6.49 price only applies at certain exchanges otherwise it is £12.99. If your father clicks on the "upgrade account" icon within his Member Centre then all the various options and prices are shown.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The catch is that the current package is effectively Pro but with a lower usage allowance.
The actual situation is that if your father is staying within the 2GB allowance he won't be doing anything which would be throttled by the traffic shaping so moving to Value is a no brainer
Just check that he is on a Market 3 exchange of the saving won't be as much
The other thing about Value is that he could be moved to ADSL2+ giving faster speeds depending on his distance from the exchange
Plusnet Value: If you live in a low cost area it costs £6.49 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £6.49 a month for the first three months, then £10.79 or £12.99 a month depending on where you live
alans

Thanks chaps for the speedy replies.  I guess the fact that the cost was different depending on exchange was getting me worried that one has to change landline providers - i'm guessing the broadband is not provided by BT - so can one still keep BT for phone ?
Alan
pierre_pierre
Grafter

here where it gets confusing
Plus Net can supply you with a phone service, and they get that from BT Wholesale, who also feed BT Phone and can supply BT with a broadband
and you keep the same phone number and physical connection to the exchange
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is provided via BT wholesale so all you do is change your product - nothing else - your phone contract with BT retail is unaffected
The difference is that on Market 3 exchanges Ofcom allowed BT wholesale price flexibility  and hence Plusnet could screw lower prices out of BT for Market 3 which they passed on to the customer
alans

Ah, that makes sense.  Many thanks.
Alan