cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's my best package option?

MartinQ
Dabbler

What's my best package option?

A F9 customer since July 1999, I've been on the Force9 Broadband Premier Option 1 since Feb 2004.
I'm paying just over  £21 a month (with referrals) and am wondering whether there's a better package.
I'm in a Market 3 area and, with a gaming teenage son online 24/7, use around 50Gb a month,  ~20Gb peak (4pm - Midnight)
I was looking at the Pro option at £16.49 but this still appears to have the 20Gb limit with reduced off-peak hours (midnight-8am)  - and, after all this time I'm not keen to fork out £29.99+VAT to downgrade - I'd rather pay the same, get a better service and not pay a 'downgrade penalty'!
Additionally, I read a post that suggested that someone on 'one of the older products' wouldn't see the benefit of improvements at the BT exchange?
When I looked at this a couple of years ago, the view was that the Force9 Broadband Premier Option 1 was still worth the money.
It's not so much the £21 price, just the feeling that unless I do something PN will keep charging me for an inferior service.
ADSL2+ appears to be available at my exchange. I'm currently getting around 3500kpbs transfer...
Download speed - 3541 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :5152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps
Interested in your views - Is there a better option?
3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: What's my best package option?

I would have thought that PN Extra is much better http://www.plus.net/?home=hometop  and to compare the traffic shaping between your old product and the new see here http://kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm and only £11.99 per month in Market 3
artificer
Grafter

what is your regular download speed?  what would it be on a different package?  were you to compare byte for byte, which package offers the best bytes/p?
on broadband premier 1 @ 21.99 since 2005, there is no package on offer that offers me anything like even parity, taking into consideration the extended download free time.  the peak allowance is not as advertised, but that i can live with.
although a brand of toilet tissue is regarded as the most expensive, when compared with cheaper options, oz for oz, it was the best value for money.
while the package i'm on remains best value for me, i'll stick with it.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Personally I would go for Extra.
The advantages of doing this are:
- It would save a fair amount
- The traffic management is better for things I use in peak (download sites and servers for things like itunes, software updates etc)
- You get ADSL2+
- The usage allowance is larger (even taking into account the change in peak)
You could view the change in peak as a disadvantage, but IMO the increase in peak usage makes up for that. The only other negative difference would be slightly lower p2p/usenet speeds in peak, but these are so small to be negligible.