cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What date can I potentially leave PlusNet?

bridder
Dabbler

What date can I potentially leave PlusNet?

Hi all, I have a few questions for the mods. My 18 month contract ends on the 26th of October, here goes...

1. Do I have to give 14 days notice? OR
  2. If there is less than 14 days surely I can just purchase from another provider with an installation date after the 26th of October and that will satisfy my contract and I can move on without any early termination fees or penalties?
  3. Will I have any trouble with PlusNet receiving instructions to transfer me on a date after the end of my contract but receving those instructions before the said date?

It's question 2 above that I am most interested in knowing the answer to as I'd rather the new provider just handle the transfer of my number and services.

Thanks,

John C.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: What date can I potentially leave PlusNet?

@bridder 

The mods are customer's like you and I.

The normal procedure is not to cancel Plusnet. Instead your new ISP should do it for you. If you cancel, depending on ever fluid engineer availability there is a possibility that you will end up with a dead period plus the increased risk that you will lose your telephone number.

Talk to your new ISP.

Is there a reason why you are leaving Plusnet?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bridder
Dabbler

Thanks for the response @Baldrick1.

My mind isn't made up yet (tldr below) on where my next contract will be, so it could be with PlusNet, I just want to be ready should some good deal particularly interest me. I wouldn't cancel myself, I was only including the date and notice period to help get a sense of what I am trying to say, maybe I did it badly.

So are you saying that if I want to, after the 12th of October, if I was to purchase from another provider with an installation and transfer date after the 26th of October that I would have satisfied all of my obligations with PlusNet? Not have any penalties? With only a minor hiccup in services? And in theory the transfer should go through assuming everyone does their bit?

Once again, thanks.
John C.

Leaving reason: I want some TV services and have not particularly used or like the choice I have with the PlusNet TV, I generally compliment what I have with NowTV, Prime or Netflix, I could go down this route again or may go with something a bit more expensive like Sky or Virgin, still undecided and looking at deals.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I have no way of knowing how Plusnet handles these situations and don't pretend to speak for them but common sense tells me that Plusnet have absolutely no claim against you if your new ISP gives notice that you will be leaving on or after your contract end date.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @bridder

Thanks for getting in touch.

To answer your question, yes, you would need to give 14 days notice if you were either a). More than 14 days away from the end of your contract or b). Wanting to close your account and cease your line entirely, rather than migrating to another provider.

Assuming you're moving to a provider that isn't Virgin (more on that in a sec), you can process an order with another provider within the 14 day period and they will normally contact us to advise that they are taking over the line. Once this happens, providing you're out of contract, your account will be closed down with any early termination fees etc as provides generally take 14 days (or more).

I mention Virgin as they operate on a completely different network to BT Wholesale (our suppliers) and therefore would not contact us to let us know you're intending to migrate (because they wouldn't be taking over your existing line - they'd provide a new one).

If you move to Virgin, or have any questions about the migration process - give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 328 4624 and they'll be happy to help.

Best wishes

Dave

bridder
Dabbler

Thanks @Baldrick1 and @RandallFlagg 

bridder
Dabbler

Hi @RandallFlagg 

Just a few last questions, if I was to move on in the most efficient way and get another provider to do the transfer of my number etc do I have to separately deal with the TV service I receive from PlusNet or would that just naturally cancel? I took it out the day after I got my 18 month Phone and Broadband contract. 

Also if I was staying with PlusNet what would be the earliest date I can cancel the TV service as that has been the most disappointing aspect and most unused of my services with PlusNet. I'm presuming 14 days shy of the end of my TV contract...

Many thanks,

John C.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @bridder,

The TV deal would be more than likely be part of the broadband deal so removing it could result in cancellation charges however you are best talking to the Customer Options team on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours: Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00 Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00 Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
bridder
Dabbler

Thanks @Beyhive 

I've been in touch with the Customer Options Team and they've allowed me to cancel my TV service today as I am in my last month, with no termination fee as I've probably met all my obligations anyway.

Just have to make my mind up on which provider to go with now, stay with PlusNet or move onto somewhere else if a great deal comes along.

John C.

bridder
Dabbler

Received an email from PlusNet, £11.29 early termination fee for phone line cancellation, NO NO NO. I contacted Sky on the 21st of October, with the transfer date of the 4th of November, my contract with PlusNet ends on the 26th of October, why?

@RandallFlagg or @Beyhive any help appreciated, just to recap this is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Below is question 2 in my original post;

"If there is less than 14 days surely I can just purchase from another provider with an installation date after the 26th of October and that will satisfy my contract and I can move on without any early termination fees or penalties?"

@RandallFlagg said (and I don't fit into either option a or b);

"To answer your question, yes, you would need to give 14 days notice if you were either a). More than 14 days away from the end of your contract or b). Wanting to close your account and cease your line entirely, rather than migrating to another provider.

Assuming you're moving to a provider that isn't Virgin (more on that in a sec), you can process an order with another provider within the 14 day period and they will normally contact us to advise that they are taking over the line. Once this happens, providing you're out of contract, your account will be closed down with any early termination fees etc as provides generally take 14 days (or more)."

I'm assuming that as I only did this on the 21st of October with Sky, only 5 days short of the end of my contract and it isn't transferring until the 4th of November, and, I'm not wishing to close my account and am transferring to another provider that I have done everything correctly, surely I have honoured the original 18 month contract and shouldn't be charged an early termination fee, I'll be fighting this if that charge is taken from my bank account, unless PlusNet can tell me what I have done wrong.

Also, I had made the assumption that Sky were transferring my broadband as well as my phone line but in the email I have received PlusNet seem unsure and want me to phone them to confirm, isn't the whole idea about transferring services between providers that you don't have to contact your old provider?

Kind regards,

John C.

bridder
Dabbler

@RandallFlagg and @Beyhive The email from PlusNet also states "Additional charges may apply if we receive notice that your broadband service is also transferring.

What's going on? Sky have put in a request to transfer my services, I shouldn't have to deal with PlusNet.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @bridder

Thank you for getting in touch. 

I have fully reviewed your account and cease orders. An update has been provided by myself via ticket and SMS. You can view both here

Please feel free to give us a shout should you require further assistance as we're here until 10pm.

Kind Regards