Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you playing at Plusnet?

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

What are you playing at Plusnet?

I got my price increase email on the 8th July, today I rang COT to discuss this with them and to confirm that I was free to leave without any early termination fees because of these rises, which was confirmed.
This afternoon I began the migration process to a new provider, and now I get this,  Angry

Hello *****
Account username: ******
Phone number affected: ***********
We're sorry to hear you're leaving us.
Another service provider has told us that you're moving your broadband and phone service away from Plusnet.
If you've already received an email from us with information about the transfer of one of your services, please ignore it and refer only to the information contained within this email.
Your broadband and phone service is scheduled to transfer automatically on 27th July 2015 and will result in the cancellation of all your Plusnet services.
If that's not right, or you'd like to speak to someone about your account, call us as soon as possible for free on 0800 073 3057 from a landline or, at UK landline rates on 0330 123 0178 from a mobile, before 4pm on 25th July 2015. The sooner you call the easier it is to change things.

When you leave Plusnet

You'll receive a final bill with the charges you need to pay.
As you're moving your service before the end of your minimum term, you'll need to pay a charge for the remaining months. Based on your transfer date, we've calculated this to be £92.40. This may change if your transfer date changes.

Your final bill

Your final bill will include:

• The charge to cancel your services, detailed above

• A final charge to cover your services for the period between your previous bill and the transfer date

• Any applicable charges for broadband usage and calls made in the period between your previous bill and the transfer date
 You'll need to pay this via your normal payment method. If this is Direct Debit, please ensure you do not cancel your Direct Debit until you have paid your final bill.

And of coarse the phone lines are closed!
Can somebody @ PN take a look at this and make sure the cancellation fee is removed from my account...
19 REPLIES 19
johncov26
Dabbler

Re: What are you playing at Plusnet?

The website says lines are open till 10.30 7 days a week - i know it starts tomorrow but its saying that now..
picbits
Rising Star

Have you changed your call package recently ?
I took off the anytime calls and it automatically and without my permission entered me into a new 12 month telephone contract. I did an online chat to get it sorted and was basically told that there was nothing they would do and to leave using my 30 day contract clause for the price rise.
Had they cancelled the cancellation charge I would probably have stayed but because of this attitude I've signed up with a new ISP and hopefully I'm off in a couple of weeks Sad
DaveyH
Champion

Quote from: DomS
Have you changed your call package recently ?

No. I downgraded/took an offer from COT for the 40/20 package when they first offered it last year.
But that's besides the point, and precisely why i double checked with COT today that the price rise email i got was correct  and could leave without early terrmination fees.
Quote from: johncov26
The website says lines are open till 10.30 7 days a week - i know it starts tomorrow but its saying that now..

Thanks.
Managed to get through to PN, but COT had gone home, and the CS rep I spoke to was unable to deal with invoicing.
So looks like I'll have to deal with COT after work tomorrow.
picbits
Rising Star

I asked the COT to put in writing (which I have here) that I won't get any termination charges.
I don't trust the PN billing system one little bit to get things right !
Good luck - where are you off to ?
DaveyH
Champion

Quote from: DomS
I asked the COT to put in writing (which I have here) that I won't get any termination charges.
I don't trust the PN billing system one little bit to get things right !

I don't trust them either, that's why I had COT confirm the email was correct.
Hopefully the conversation was recorded (and there's a closed ticket on my account from this afternoons call to say I was using the price increase to get out of contract)
Good luck - where are you off to ?

Thanks hopefully i wont need it!
Moving to Sky
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@DaveyH
You won't get charged for moving away as I've sorted this for you now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
DaveyH
Champion

Many thanks Mathew. Saves me phoning in.
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I got a very similar email when I started the process of moving to BT, despite the fact that Plusnet told me on the phone that there would be no early termination charges...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Sebtomato
Did you contact us and say you were leaving due to the price rises? If so the cancellation fees should have been removed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are the problems occurring because users are contacting COT before starting the moving process with another provider? Only if they contact COT afterwards will leaving charges be present for COT to remove.
David
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
@Sebtomato
Did you contact us and say you were leaving due to the price rises? If so the cancellation fees should have been removed.

I did call to say I was leaving for that reason, and spoke to the retention team. They told me that I wouldn't be charged with a fee, and that I didn't need to notify Plusnet in writing either, as my new provider will deal with the cancellation.
However, they took no details whatsoever (login, phone number or even name), so I don't know how Plusnet would know that early termination charges have to be waived... Clearly, the system is still trying to charge them (despite being within 30 days of the line increase email being sent), so I can predict some arguments.
There is a bit of an issue with the process.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

...seem to remember that COT knew who I was when I phoned last time,without me having to say anything. Presumably it flags up as a PN supplied phone number Huh
Sebtomato
Rising Star

I didn't call from the registered landline, so they had no ways of knowing who I was....
g1000
Grafter

Nobody who switches by contacting a gaining provider should be charged in the first place. Our contractual T&Cs and Ofcom regulations are clear that we do not have to personally contact Plusnet. Contact from the gaining provider in the 30 days following the email will serve as notice of our intention regarding the price rises.
If Plusnet really are systematically applying ETCs to anyone who hasn't contacted "Customer Options" directly, that is a big no-no. It is not Plusnet's role to presume the notification was unsuccessful and the customer has coincidentally left for another reason. The hassle of contesting ETCs amounts to a clear frustration of the practical switching process and exercising of termination rights.
Ofcom guidance on exactly this situation: CPs should also keep in mind the need to comply with all their obligations under the General Conditions, including as to switching processes. This is particularly relevant where the rules provide for a gaining provider-led process under which a subscriber is able to switch providers by contacting a new provider and without needing to contact their existing one. Neither GC9.6 itself nor this guidance requires that a subscriber must exercise their rights under that condition by contacting their existing provider. One way the CP making contract modifications could meet its obligations in a relevant case is by telling the subscriber that the GC9.6 termination rights may be exercised by contacting a new provider.

I'll be interested to see what happens in my case...