cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Site Tips

Sheltie

Web Site Tips

Hi
Does anybody have any tips or suggestions how i could attract more referrals on my web site
www.shetlandstuff.co.uk
9 REPLIES 9
Buckin_Billy

Re: Web Site Tips

How about saying 'why' you feel PlusNet is so good?  Remember when you sell anything you sell the benefits of having it.  How about expanding your site to include a dedicated section perhaps called 'Which Broadband?'.
reflexion
Dabbler

Do your customer have sites? cross referal is a great way to get you up the search engine listings, put banner adds on your site to your customers site and ask them to refer you.
Sheltie

Thanks for the replies  Cool I'll put them in action when i get a chance  Wink
arlehaven
Grafter

Hello Sheltie,
As you are no doubt aware Plusnet have a large number of referal banners, buttons and text links which you can place on your site. I have them on several pages on my site. Make a note of the referal link, then you can create your own buttons and banners which will link to the referal scheme.
I even include my own banners in emails I send out.
All the buttons and banners in the world won't do any good if your site can't be found by search engines but again Plusnet can help. Somtime back i found a brilliant tutorial in the help section / websites which explained how to alter the code in your pages to make them more searchable. It has worked for me and my site is usually listed highly in google and msn etc.
Sorry I don't have the link to this tutorial but i'm sure you will find it easily.
Good luck.  Smiley
arlehaven
Grafter

Smiley Hello, back again,
Just had a quick look at your site and see that you already have banners in place however I was surprised to note that on the home page, in the google adds section, top of the list is Plusnet. Looks good but the link actually takes you to the Talk Talk website.
If you want to make money from the referal scheme I would get rid of the other links to the other ISP's and concentrate on promoting Plusnet either through their banners or some you create yourself.
The Plusnet links on other pages are great.
reflexion
Dabbler

Here's my tips:
Make the banner ads pop in a new window
Add more keywords
change the generator tag from Web page maker
Add a desription tag
add an index tag & robots return tag
Sheltie

Thanks very much again good ideas, unfortunately i wont be able to update my site for a bit for various reasons but i will be putting your ideas into practice as soon as i can
rmerewood
Dabbler

Eep! I'd advise against putting the banner in a pop-up. It tends to annoy a lot of people and most browsers will block them by default. That said, I didn't immediately notice there were any banners on the site, as I had to scroll down to see them. - maybe think about positioning something on the right-hand side of the page.
The best advice, as has already been noted, is to create your own original content. You could create a "Broadband" section in your links on the left and have a separate page explaining why you recommend us.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: arlehaven
Smiley Hello, back again,
Just had a quick look at your site and see that you already have banners in place however I was surprised to note that on the home page, in the google adds section, top of the list is Plusnet. Looks good but the link actually takes you to the Talk Talk website.
If you want to make money from the referal scheme I would get rid of the other links to the other ISP's and concentrate on promoting Plusnet either through their banners or some you create yourself.
The Plusnet links on other pages are great.

I think that you can remove TalkTalk from the GoogleAds list (if you wanted to keep the ads, but just remove specific ones. Not sure how to do it (or even definite that it CAN be done), but I'm sure I heard that you can remove specific ads if they offer a competitors product etc.
Anyone know if it can be done, and how to do it?