cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to send money by internet banking.

lagoonboy

Want to send money by internet banking.

Hello.
Please can you tell me the sort code, account number & where to look for my reference number so I can put credit into my Plusnet account from my internet banking platform.
The entire website gives the vibe that:
"We will take money from you when we want"
with no obvious ways to pay into our Plusnet account ourselves.
This is foolish for people who are trying to budget with limited means - for instance, they may find it more convenient to send along a quarter of their bill every week so the direct debit isn't a single large monthly payment.
At the moment I would guess that such unsolicited payments would be retained in addition to taking the direct debit amount.    Sad
So not a clever way to proceed, but it does make the point that people who want to offer part payments in advance cannot, even though they are doing plusnet a favour, & are trying to be prudent.
The "we will take the money when we want" model could be expanded to accommodate those who would like the chance to stay up to date with their payments, & trickle sums into their account, esp in these days of internet banking.
But please - oh please - don't make it necessary to telephone you to make the payment.
Have your bank details on a webpage, & instructions for finding our account reference number, & then let internet banking push the funds into our Plusnet account.
And then each month check for any credits & deduct them from the direct debit amount.
Just an idea.
LB
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Want to send money by internet banking.

Please can you tell me the sort code, account number & where to look for my reference number so I can put credit into my Plusnet account from my internet banking platform.
Very simply you can't do that
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Rather than paying Plusnet in advance, would it not be better for you to transfer the sums you would have sent to Plusnet into a separate bank account in your name. Then immediately prior to Plusnet's payment being due you transfer the full amount back to whichever account you have set up for the direct debit. You might actually earn a bit of interest on the sums you have put aside in advance of payment.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
Very simply you can't do that
And knowing how the banking system (and most accounting systems) work I can totally understand why.
PN generally collect payments by Direct Debit, which is driven from their accounting systems so that it all ties together. (Well allegedly, it has its problems to say the least!  Crazy )
If you have a direct debit set up (as I do) you can see what account that is, but it won't help.
If you make a payment into their account (it will be one account used for thousands of customers) whatever reference or identification you put on it it probably will be ignored as it isn't expected and there will be no mechanism for picking up and identifying one-off (or even regular standing order) payments.
It might pop out eventually as an exception when an accounting balance/reconciliation is run but by then you will probably be marked as unpaid and your service suspended. Even then they would probably struggle to identify whose account it was for.