cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very sad to leave but £10 a month gap between PN and John Lewis offer.

canary2211
Grafter

Very sad to leave but £10 a month gap between PN and John Lewis offer.

I have been with plusnet since they started in late 1990's.  I have always had a great service and a decent price.  But the current pricing war for broadband and phone packages means I probably will leave.  For BB and phone PN customer services 'leavers' team can offer me £37 per month (an instant reduction from the current tariff of £44).  But John Lewis offer me £27. Nearly a third cheaper. 

Feeling rather sad really............

10 REPLIES 10
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Very sad to leave but £10 a month gap between PN and John Lewis offer.

I don't know whether you are aware, but you are effectively staying with Plusnet as John Lewis broadband is provided by them.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

It's not uncommon to find that you can get a cheaper deal with a company if you go through a third party rather than go to the company direct ?

Seems daft but that's the way it works.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, seems silly that JL (who use PlusNet) must pay them a wholesale rate and can do a better deal with their extra added on top.

You’d think PlusNet and “their suppliers” (aka BT Wholesale) would prefer to keep existing customers and not have the extra cost of a third party?
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Sounds to me like the OP has been caught out by PNs high cost area con.

I.e Plusnet still charge more for so called high cost areas, when pretty much no one else does including JL.
canary2211
Grafter

And John Lewis offer £52.50 cash back via TopCashback.   I'm off.  Thank you for the customer service Plusnet.  Not really clever re pricing as if you had bridged the gap I would have stayed.  So would another family member.  So two customers lost - revenue of £50 per month lost.

@canary2211 wrote:

I have been with plusnet since they started in late 1990's.  I have always had a great service and a decent price.  But the current pricing war for broadband and phone packages means I probably will leave.  For BB and phone PN customer services 'leavers' team can offer me £37 per month (an instant reduction from the current tariff of £44).  But John Lewis offer me £27. Nearly a third cheaper. 

Feeling rather sad really............

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

JL Even make it a selling point. From their website

Same price wherever you live

Our broadband and phone plans cost the same wherever you live, even in remote rural areas.

canary2211
Grafter

I'm staying!!!  Plusnet offered me 18m free broadband and £26.99 phone - beating John Lewis by 1p.  Sense has been seen!  Thank you plus net.  Shame it went to the wire! 

macpherson
Dabbler

JL seem to be getting bad reviews but it's hard to see how they can be much worse than PN with 45 minute wait times and Chat not available because everyone is busy dealing wih other customers.

It may sound harsh but, to me phone and broadband are commodities.  They come down the same bit of cable into my house, just like electricity, and it doesn't much matter who sends the bill. And, if it breaks, they are all going to blame Openreach anyway!

I see no need to pay a premium for customer service if it isn't easily available.

macpherson
Dabbler

Meant to add that when I did get through to query the big jump in this months bill* I was told that as I'm in contract they will do nothing.

To me, that feels like I'm being taken advantage of or held to ransom and I don't like it.

*The bill jumped by £19.00 because two months ago, PN had emailed to say that my Line Rental Saver would expire 6 Nov.  I saw no need to do anything two full months in advance and assumed (we know what that makes me) that there would be another reminder nearer the time.  But there isn't.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Call the John Lewis support line, goes to the same guys anyway.

Have you not noticed that they don't answer the phone with "You're through to Plusnet/John Lewis/Madasafish, how can I help"