cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT Invoice

EmmaD

VAT Invoice

Hi, I have tried every which way, countless support tickets etc and keep being given the same answer on this query, which I don't accept. If a VAT invoice is requested of you, you are legally bound to provide it, even if you have already provided a non-VAT invoice. I keep being told that you cannot re-issue invoices that have already been issued as non-VAT invoices, to show VAT.

You have made our invoices going forward into VAT invoices, and that is fine and working - but we need the two outstanding non-VAT invoices as VAT invoices!! We are about to submit for the September quarter.Especially as one of them is the big, first invoice with LIne Rental Saver.

We CANNOT be the first customers to have signed up for a residential account (because the broadband is being supplied to a residential home) who need a VAT invoice supplied. What about all the sole traders and small businesses out there, who would not need a business account? You are duty bound to supply us with VAT invoices.

Please note, this would never have arisen if you had made it clear when we signed up that our invoices would be non-VAT unless we requested otherwise.  WHY DON'T YOU DO THIS?! I suggest you make it very clear in the future - you have cost us and yourselves so much time over this.

We are so frustrated by not receiving these two invoices as VAT invoices - please fix and arrange for them to be made manually, as other companies do when their 'system' (which keeps being blamed by the agents) can't provide it electronically. It's all very well expanding fast, and I applaud you for it - but this is a basic error in your system that needs fixing.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: VAT Invoice

Hello there.

We've discussed this with our billing team and I'm sorry to say that we can't generate VAT invoices for invoices that have already been generated as non-VAT.

What about all the sole traders and small businesses out there, who would not need a business account?

We'd advise to create a business account still, because a residential account should only be used for residential services.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

But surely that invoice, however you describe it, contained a 20% VAT element; HMRC therefore requires you make a VAT invoice available to VAT registered clients.
Surely not beyond the realms of doability by someone in your Finance Team to issue duplicate in
correct format.
Otherwise refund them the VAT on said invoices PERHAPS?
See: https://www.gov.uk/vat-record-keeping/vat-invoices
EmmaD

Thank you, Gel, this is my point entirely - you have put it exactly.

Plusnet, it isn't good enough to say that we should have created a business account, the broadband is being supplied to a residential home, not an office, and we happen to be VAT registered and therefore require our invoices to show VAT - you must have come across this before, it is neither unusual nor unacceptable.

Also, please answer my and Gel's point that it is a legal requirement for you to supply these two invoices to show VAT, so that we can submit proper VAT returns to HMRC. What do you advise us to do?

This is a glitch in your system, not in our approach. We are bona fide residential account customers who happen to be VAT registered and therefore require VAT invoices. Had you made it clear when we signed up that we needed to tick a box if we required our invoices to be VAT invoices, we would have done so. The fault is yours.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try reading the Terms and Conditions for residential services: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

2. Your use of the services

2.1. You must:

2.1.3. use the services for personal use in the UK (so don't use the services to run your own business, but a couple of work emails or occasional home working are okay) and in accordance with our Acceptable Use Policy;

Another ISP refuses point blank to issue VAT invoices for residential services as a way of enforcing a similar condition.

@EmmaD I'd suggest you drop this as you are admitting you are breaching the Terms and Conditions!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
EmmaD

Hi Jelv,

Thanks for your response, but we are not using the broadband for our business at all! It is a residential home.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I that case you are committing fraud by offsetting the VAT against your business!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
EmmaD

I'm sorry Jelv I can't go into the set-up but that isn't the case. Thanks for your input though.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

This requirement has been raised many times since (about) 2007 and at one point did get onto the Development stack.  Optimistically the new Billing system will cover this need particularly for Business users - I'll raise a query via the SU forum.

EDIT: Text correction.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Won't HMRC accept that 1/6 of the non-VAT invoices is VAT, especially since you can demonstrate that you have tried your best to obtain VAT invoices for the two months in question, and you will be able to provide such invoices from now on?

I don't need VAT invoices, but when I buy something, the invoice - clearly showing the VAT paid - still says "This is not a VAT invoice"; what that all about?

EmmaD

Thank you very much - I'm sure there are many affected users like me. I'm very happy with the service otherwise.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

We can't technically backdate invoices as VAT via the systems we use

Sorry for the inconvenience

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet