cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a MAC key to transfer to another ISP

VOD
Grafter

Using a MAC key to transfer to another ISP

Can anyone clarify the situation please as I am getting conflicting information from my new ISP and plusnet... 
here is what happened
Digital regions installed a nice green box on my road a few months ago and it was soon clear that +net (BT) would not be using this network so I decided to transfer over as the speed we have received was poor. I made the necessary enquires and the new provider asked me for the MAC key.
I got this from +net without a problem after explaining the situation, but there was no competition.
All went well with the swap over (it even happened on a bank holiday Monday when a man came to the green box). I have been on this quite happily until I noticed PlusNet have taken a DD payment. I contacted them and stopped my DD.
I am now told there is a fee to cease my service and that my service is still live and I need to pay for it.
I have spoken to my new ISP and they tell me this was a transfer using the MAC key and open reach have confirmed this and that this should transfer and cease the service from PlusNet automatically ??
Can anyone clarify this situation when transferring ISP's...
I did speak to one CS guy who told me I was still getting a service...  I did tell him this was impossible and to prove to him I connected my old router.. guess what no service...
Any comments or ideas ? Maybe I report a broadband fault as I can't get PlusNet !!
if any one from +net is looking the host name was aircon .... 
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Using a MAC key to transfer to another ISP

I think I can see the confusion
I bet nobody has considered moving from standard BT ADSL to LLU fibre
Equally I would think that BT Openreach didn't tell Plusnet that the service has been transferred and that the MAC had been used.
It is unlikely that this will be picked up before Monday
Who is supplying the phone line as that will be over the original copper from the exchange or did that move to DR as well
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't think there's ever a GUARANTEE that a MAC transfer will notify the "departing" ISP in all respects, though they "may" notice a disconnection.
After all there could be all sorts of different contract situations that could arise.
Always best to contact them and confirm the termination of service once the transfer is successful.  Wink
VOD
Grafter

Thanks for your comments. I did mention to +net that I was leaving, they even chased me up to get me to stay....  as you say it would be best to double confirm things in future...
When it comes to my phone line it is a BT line (hard wire wise) but my company pay the bill and goes through another supplier....
hope this helps... 
VOD
Grafter

I am absolutely appalled by service. I have today been chased by the payment team and they passed me onto customer options.
I explained all my problems and asked plusnet not to chase me for payments until all this is resolved and I was told by option team person he will close down my account and pass it direct onto the debt recovery..... Oh well looks my other 5 accounts I have with plusnet are going to be ceased shortly.....
I did thank the operative for his constructive comments and guidance.... 
I am now very angry !!!!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I suspect because the digital region service doesn't work across BT lines the MAC code wasn't actually used. As a result the service is still active on the phone line and we're still being charged by our suppliers for it. I'm not saying here that this is a black and white issue and that we can't come to some kind of arrangement, I just wanted to explain how things are from our side and why you've been told what you have.
What date was it that the digital region service went active for you?
VOD
Grafter

Hi Mat,
Thanks for your constructive reply (sorry for being sarcastic but this is what happens when you experience poor customer service).
Back to reality, the digital regions is supplied over my BT line for definite. No new cables, no engineers, just plug in a new modem and router and off I went. The changes occur at the cabinet where digital regions intercept it. ASK4 would not accept my order without a MAC key.
As you say and I said to your colleague this is all new and not black and white... A system needs to be in place to ensure migration from ADSL to the new technologies and it is this which has failed me on this occasion.
Ask4 have been on with BT today and I wil let you know what they say.
The annoying thing here is I am an expert in my own field and I expect ISP be  the same in their own field which is not the feeling i get following on from this afternoon.....
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Matt
As a result the service is still active on the phone line and we're still being charged by our suppliers for it.

Did the customer give PN the required 30days notice? If so, it is PN's problem.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
VOD
Grafter

Here is how digital regions work according to several sources... 
You ask your current supplier for a MAC key .... Done
They question you and ask you why and try and get you to stay ... Done
New supplier (ask4) pass all the details including the MAC key to Thales... Done (thales are like BT openreach and look after the network infrastructure of DR)
Thales contact BT to inform and tell them about the migration ..  Done
A date is set for migration and BT should contact +net to tell them the migration has happened....
All done... In this instance apparently BT have had a problem with their systems reporting to the old ISP and therefore accounts have been rumbling on...
DR has had this problem with 5 new clients recently.
Hopefully someone will call me today ..
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The only outstanding fees on the account are the £25 cessation fee and the 30 days notice. The cancellation fee shouldn't be payable if you migrate out, but our service is still active on the line - the asset checker shows we're still providing service and I'm still able to run a line test (which I wouldn't be able to do if the service had moved).
As such we'll have to place a broadband cease in order to close the account off, and I'm not sure what affect that will have on the new service. Unfortunately there's nothing else we can do though as unless we do cease the service we'll continue to be charged.
Given the fees above and the time the new service has been active, would you be willing to pay the £25 cancellation fee and the outstanding account balance and we'll get things closed off for you?

ETA: Apologies, I wasn't aware that the DR service worked on BT lines but certainly am now Smiley