cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Username needs changing

dcn1
Hooked

Username needs changing

I wasn't told my username would be the basis if my email address. Can someone please tell me how I change it?

Thanks,

Dave

15 REPLIES 15
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Username needs changing

Hi dcn1@

I'm afraid you can't change your account username once signed up.

You can choose your username over the website or when signing up over the telephone.

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

- Ollie

dcn1
Hooked

So my email is...

[Removed]@plusdsl.net

How can I use that? It wasn;t made clear to me that my username would become my unchageable email.

This is a rubbish ISP, please can I change to another provider ?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Mav
Fixes: 514

@dcn1

Your email address would actually be anythingyouwant@<username>.plus.com with username being your broadband login name.

You can have multiple email address and details of how to set them up can be found here.

Alternatively you could purchase your own domain from somewhere like 123reg and have emails forwarded to one of your Plusnet email boxes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dcn1
Hooked

It makes no sense that it cannot be changed - surely a minor admin job!

Why make such an inflexible rule?? I mustn't be the only one to have fallen into this trap of yours. I am really angry.

dcn1
Hooked

So i need 2 names in my email address ? I don't understand have never had that before. That would be too long.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dcn1
Hooked

I don't want the username I have chosen in my email address.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Sorry to disappoint but it's defintitely not possible to change usernames. It has impacts on several thigns including data protection, account security and how the connection works. I'd take a look at getting a domain to meet your email needs. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dcn1
Hooked

Why don't you advise people at the time of choosing their username that it will be permanently connected to their email addresses?

I am seriously considering changing to another ISP even if it costs me.
Mav
Fixes: 514

@dcn1

From the Sign-up process:

Usernames must be 5 to 16 characters in length, lowercase, with no spaces or special characters, and must start with two letters. This lets you log into our website and forms part of your Plusnet email address. Once you've chosen your username you can't change it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@dcn1 wrote:
Why don't you advise people at the time of choosing their username that it will be permanently connected to their email addresses?

I am seriously considering changing to another ISP even if it costs me.

You're not obliged to use their email service, and frankly why anyone still uses ISP provided email these days is beyond comprehension.

Amanda2

I have had the same problem.  No-one told me that my username would be an unchangeable part of my email address.  It is very annoying.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Simple answer is don't use the email service - there are much better ones out there, and less and less ISP's offer email.

DQH

Can't change my user name !! I'm furious.How can a company be so inflexible. If part of my username is my surname,and I get married,does that mean I'll always have to use my maiden name because that was my registered user name ?! Madness !! When I asked the representative that I spoke to if he was concerned that he might loose customers because of this,his response was "only a handful of customers have complained"! Isn't every customer worthy of their concern.? Hasn't every customer built up their business ?