cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage

sugarbear

Usage

Hi, what exactly does the 10GB allowance include? I was on Yahoo Messenger for a few hours last night and my usage seems to have sky rocketed  Sad
10 REPLIES 10
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Usage

It will be Flash using it up.
sugarbear

Thanks for getting back to me. So does Yahoo Messenger use flash then? What about when I browse average webpages, like news sites, Facebook etc, does that eat into my 10GB? On the front page it says that you can browse as much as you want with 10GB so I'm just trying to get an idea of what things eat into my allowance.
Thanks for your help!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Any site like Yahoo, Google, Facebook etc, will eat in to your allowance with them having Flash ads on them, and specially YouTube will eat in to your allowance, to stop Yahoo, Google, Facebook etc from eating in to your allowance use Firefox with FlashBlock, if you want to see the image just click on it!
If you want to watch YouTube, watch it between 00:00 to 06:00
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the free time is midnight to 8 am not six
sugarbear

Thanks, that's really helpful. I will install FlashBlock. Apparently I used 729MB in one day just from browsing the web (and viewing about 5 mins of YouTube) so yeah, whatever is using so much of my allowance has got to stop!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@sugarbear, Some new Flash ads tern your PC in to a P2P Server.
@pierre, Yep your right and I am wrong the free time is from: 00:00 to 08:00.  Embarrassed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi sugarbear,
Our 'view my usage' page gives a clear breakdown of what your usage is being spent on and should help you 'spin out' your bandwith or help you decide if another package might be better for you:
https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sugarbear

Hi Adam, thanks - but I needed a clearer breakdown than that page provides on how I could've used 729MB from just "browsing the web". It looks like the Flash blocker worked, used hardly anything last night and was browsing for a few hours.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We can't be any more specific than that I'm afraid, stick with the flashblocker if it works for you, there are other forms of usage monitoring out there so I'd get yourself on google to see what's out there Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@sugarbear, I am glad that I could help.