cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage meter accuracy

olivertaylor

Usage meter accuracy

Hi,
I've just started using my Plusnet account - as of today. I'm on the 60GB limit.
I installed the hardware this morning at about 11:30 - and its now 16:30 - and in that time according to the on-line meter I've managed to use 3.6GB?!
How accurate is the online limit checker?
I'm sure its asked allot but to say I've already used that much in 5 hours seem very strange. I haven't been gaming online yet and haven't downloaded any movies or anything - so it's worrying me that I'm going to now have to last a month and its taken such a short time to use up that much of the allownace...
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Usage meter accuracy

It is normally fairly accurate but there have been occasions where two lines have charged to the same account. This is very rare and has occurred when an old Plusnet router has been given to another user and they used your login.
This should be very unlikely in your case but while waiting for a Care Team Member to login on Monday you could try disconnecting the router from the line when you finish with it in the evening and only reconnect it in the morning when you need to use it again. The usage should be less than 500KB
olivertaylor

Ok thanks for that.
Will be turning it off at night time anyway so will see what happens. Never actually looked at usage but seems quite shocking. I mean I was using one of the mobile broadband sticks with 3 and 1GB lasted for a fair while, so must be some of the updates for my PC have added up :s
Says 97% has been used on the web, which doesn't include videos watched etc which seems to deepen everything. But I will give it a while and see what happens.
Noticed that it says plusnet never cut you off just significantly reduce the speed which is good so its not so bad now.
Will see if the service people have any thoughts on Monday,
Thanks!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The speed isn't reduced unless you have set a limit on the monthly spend otherwise you will get hit with £5 for 5GB charge
pctinker

I'm also having the same concern. I know I've used quite a lot of internet usage on Fri/Sat - it shows up as 853mb/1.2gb which to my knowledge is about right. However, on wed and thursday of last week I am registered as having used up 731mb/1.2gb when I know I didn't use it as much as fri/sat. Compare that to Mon/Tue which shows only 73mb/81mb which is about right. Wed/Thur should be the same as Mon/Tue.
Another thing is that the allowance breakdown is 11% web, 15% gaming and 35% other - I don't do online gaming so where did that 15% come from!! Also, that 35% other is what??????
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The grouping in the usage are intelligent guesses based on port numbers and some deep packet inspection. It is not always accurate in terms of the type of use but the total should be correct.
Other is just that, other types of traffic that Plusnet do not look for specifically or do not fall into the grouping they have. It's very difficult to know what this is though.