cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage and tariffs?

shindigg

Usage and tariffs?

After being with Tiscali for over 2.5 years and being extremely happy with my broadband and phone, Talk Talk took over and within a couple of months my broadband facility was next to useless. Nothing would stream, downloads were a pitiful rate, so after Xmas I decided to look around for a new provider. I chose Plusnet in the end because of two things. The rate was almost the seem for Anytime calls except with Talk Talk I could also call some international numbers free of charge. I selected the 10Gb option, as I download very little material. We''ve been with Plusnet for 6 days. The first day the router wasn't configured correctly, so we didn't get online until the second day. After monitoring our usage it turns out were using 2Gb per day???? We're almost up to our paid for allocation and it's less than the first week. So:
1. What happens if you go over 10Gb
2. Is this normal? I have scanned the computers (3) that access the internet and can find no viruses. All have either Avast or AVG installed.
3. I elected after day 4 to upgrade to 40Gb tariff, but the way things look even this won't be enough. I got an automated email saying the upgrade will apply after 24th Feb (presumably after the first month).
4. I've emailed support, but the reply I got back said 'please refer to usage monitoring' which doesn't help.
5. I'm sure when I changed there was a guarantee that if I wasn't happy I could change. Is there a guarantee?
I'm going to wait until later this evening and see if I can get some answers but anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Cheers
Al

4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Usage and tariffs?

You mentioned "nothing would stream" with your previous ISP. Do you do a lot of that (eg iPlayer or YouTube)? Streaming soaks up a lot of bandwidth.
David
shindigg

Thanks for the reply.
I don't watch much YouTube or I-Player but the kids do....is that where all the bandwidth is going?
Cheers
Al
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, it's highly likely that the bandwidth is being soaked up by the kids' streaming.
To answer the first of your questions - what happens if you exceed your allowance?
By default extra bandwidth is added at a cost of £5 per 5GB chunk. Access then continues as normal. However if you wish you can set a maximum additional spend using Data Transfer Watch / Manage My Usage. If you do that once that spend is reached your speed will be rate limited to 128kbps download and 64kbps upload until billing date.
David
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

NetworX is a very useful utility for monitoring usage on Windows PCs. If you have multiple PCs it can aggregate the figures.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)