Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds being reduced?

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Upload speeds being reduced?

I've received an email about price changes and it mentions... "If you are affected by this change you’ll receive an email letting you know".

When will I be informed if I am affected?

Secondly, it states...

"...for eligible customers we’re increasing the download speed limit of your Unlimited Fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb , which means you might find your connection gets faster. We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb."

Am I reading this correctly? My phone charge is going up by 50p, I will get faster download speeds and the other improvement (ahem) I'm getting to my service is a DOWNGRADE to the upload speed of my broadband.

Annie
8 REPLIES 8
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Re: Upload speeds being reduced?

You're complaining about upload speeds being downgraded from 19mb to 9mb.

Well we can't get anymore than 0.5mb on fibre!! If you can get even 9mb that's better than many paying the SAME price.

And, just like you, our package download speed goes from 38mb to 52mb, this will not help us as we can only get 17mb!

And again, we pay the same as someone who will get 52mb down, 9mb up. So, whilst I understand you are complaining that you are paying more for less, what you are getting in reality is way more than some who are paying the same.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The change in speeds to 52/9 only applies to customers on the legacy 40/20 service which was withdrawn from sale over a year ago because it was expensive for PlusNet to provide. Are you on this old product?

Annie
Rising Star

I'm not certain. I renewed my package a couple of months ago. My package is called Unlimited Fibre. I tested at http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ and these are my latest results:

Try internet speed test

I've been with Plusnet since 2000.

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

ukguy1 wrote: So, whilst I understand you are complaining that you are paying more for less, what you are getting in reality is way more than some who are paying the same.

Not so much complaining about the speed but, yes, why should the service go backwards in some respects?

Annie
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unfortunately 40/20 isn't actually something we can order on a wholesale level. So all 40/20 accounts are actually provisioned on 80/20 and capped on our side at 40 on the download side of things.

With 55/10, this is something we can order on a wholesale level, so it makes more sense for us to provide something we can actually order on a wholesale level, therefore any accounts currently on the '40/20' packages, will unfortunately be changed to 55/10 provisioned speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Annie
Rising Star

Fair enough. So will this mean I will be swapped or am I on a capped 80/20?
Annie
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

From the speed test you've posted showing around 40/20, it does look like you'll be on a 40/20 account which will be changed to 55/10.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Annie
Rising Star

Many thanks.

Annie