Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a 1 to a 4 port router

Simon_M
Grafter

Upgrading from a 1 to a 4 port router

Mark/James B
I have someone who wants to transfer from another ISP to Plusnet. Main reason for the move is so that I can manage things more easily for her. She needs a new router anyway, so it's very convenient that she can get one as part of the deal.
Trouble is, for reasons I won't bore you with, she really needs a 4 port router & the ideal package for her is Option 2 broadband plus HomePhone Anytime. That only gets her the 1 port router.
Back here. James B suggested that it might be possible to arrange a similar upgrade (from wired to wireless in that case) for a one off payment.
Any chance of something similar here? It does seem daft to go out & buy another router (or a switch & have yet another thing to plug into the wall & yet more cables) when you have the perfect thing sitting on the shelf.
A long term £30/mth coming your way if you can swing it (& she won't be using all her throughput allowance on Option 2).
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Upgrading from a 1 to a 4 port router

Hi Simon,
This is certainly something I would be happy to arrange for you.
The deferred contract on hardware for the Voyager 2110 on option 3 is £50.  If you would be happy to make a one off payment of that price with Anytime+ and Option 2 then I would be more than happy to arrange for that router to be supplied with the service.
Let me know how you would like to proceed.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Or get a Speedtouch 580 and save yourself (them!) some money.
Simon_M
Grafter

Sorry James, but unless I mis-understand you, that doesn't look like much of a deal. £50 looks like the full retail value of a Voyager 2110.
You are prepared to give my referee a single point router provided she sticks around for a year. Lets say that the value of a single port router is around £30. I would therefore expect to pay an additional £20 to upgrade, not £50.
At £50, she would be better advised to buy the 2110 from Amazon, wherever, or dare I say it, even the BT shop, rather than from Plusnet & still be expected to stay for a year. Even if you waive the year condition, it's not much of a deal.
Unless Plusnet make a complete mess of things, she's not going to be going anywhere else in a hurry. If there is no sensible upgrade deal on offer on the hardware & she buys that elsewhere, how soon will she qualify for the loyalty discount currently being emailed to existing customers?
7th_star
Grafter

Quote from: Simon
If there is no sensible upgrade deal on offer on the hardware & she buys that elsewhere, how soon will she qualify for the loyalty discount currently being emailed to existing customers?

Mmmm - That's a good question!
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Or get a Speedtouch 580 and save yourself (them!) some money.

god that's cheap Smiley
:::orders one::: hehe