cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from ADSL to Fibre

FIXED
Joe5

Upgrade from ADSL to Fibre

Okay here goes (I'm a bit intellectually challenged :P), so I'm looking to upgrade my broadband package so that I can stream 4K content on YouTube, but when I look to upgrade online, there is only one option and that is "keep this product", is that because fibre is not supported in my area, or do I have to wait for my contract to expire/renew?

I'd also like to find out how long I have left on my contract, thank you. Smiley

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Upgrade from ADSL to Fibre

Put your phone number into bt.comhttps://www.dslchecker.bt.com and see what products are available. 

You can check indirectly on the member centre how much time you have lef, sorry I can post the link from here, perhaps someone can help.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Fix

Hi there @Joe5 first of all a warm welcome to the community forums.

I've checked your line and I can see that fibre isn't currently available to order. I'd advise to keep an eye out at https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx but at the moment there's no news I'm afraid.

You're also out of contract so there'll be no early termination fees should you decide to move, except a possible cessation charge as explained here: http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml

If you would like to look into recontracting, I'd advise to get in touch on the below details:

Telephone number:
0800 013 2632 (Selecting option 1, then option 2)

Opening Times:
08:00 - 20:00 Monday to Friday
09:00 - 19:00 Saturday
09:00 - 18:00 Sundays

I hope this helps.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Joe5

Thanks people, I'm connected to cabinet number 12 on the Gloucester exchange.

BT Plc are in my area (I'm aware that Plusnet is a subsidiary), but they are still assessing whether or not the cabinet can be upgraded, so unfortunately, you were correct and I am out of luck. Sad

Is living slap bang in the middle of a city centre one of the reasons I am unable to acquire FTTC? I have been told in areas where properties are mainly businesses as opposed to domestic properties, that means there's just not enough interest in FTTC, or because it would disrupt a high traffic area to have it installed.

Would I be correct on that guess?

P.s. Do you supply any better routers (I find the Sagemcom a bit ropey), or any faster ADSL+ plans? If not, could somebody recommend me a good router and perhaps a wireless adapter. Cheers!

(I just want to stream 4k :P)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I don't think that being in the city is the reason why you're unable to get fibre. It appears that there's no nearby fibre cabinet there. Openreach would need to first build the cabinet, which involves planning permissions etc.

It's essentially just a waiting game I'm afraid. It's possible your local MP may be able to push from that perspective but it's something we're not able to chase unfortunately.

As for a more powerful router, the Sagemcom one you have is the only one we provide for ADSL. An option would be to purchase your own router. Whilst I can't personally recommend one, I'm sure the members of the community would be able to point you in the right direction.

Other than Fibre, we don't offer any other packages except the one you're currently on.

Seems that you're getting around 15 Mbps which is a pretty good speed for an ADSL line but I appreciate it's nothing like fibre optic and there may be a bit of buffering with streaming 4k!

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I did mine, I just did a product change in the portal to Fibre. I wasn't under contract then (am now), but I can't imagine you commiting yourself for another 18 months would be a problem.

As previous posters said just worth double checking and putting your phone number in the checker to see if you can get FTTC.

EDIT: Can see people have beaten me on this one. I know it is a pain, my fibre at home keet being delayed so in the end I got cable. If you're in a cabled street that might be an option but you'd still probably have to buy out your contract 😐

EDIT 2: Just saw you're not under contract, sadly your only options are to either wait or switch to cable if you're in a cabled street. There is only one cable provider in this country (talk about competion, good old government).
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I can see from the CodeLook web site there are several cabinets in your locality that currently don't support FTTC.

Stick your post code in the following site and see what it says.

http://www.fastershire.com/about-fastershire

Looking around the site it appears a Phase 3 contract may be announced in the near future which might, just might, include your cabinet.

Brian

Joe5

i'd rather stay with plusnet Tongue virgin media send me too much junk mail.. puts me off switching

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The CodeLook website lists post codes attached to OpenReach cabinets. Using one chosen randomly for Cab 12 and then a random address from the list supplied the "Fastershire" web site indicated that Virgin Media is available at your location.

As far as I'm aware, if a commercial supplier is available then the "Fastershire" project cannot spend (state) money up-grading a cabinet. If this is the case for your specific location and OpenReach haven't yet up-graded your cabinet to FTTC for commercial reasons then I believe the cabinet is unlikely to be up-graded.

This would leave you with a choice of your current ADSL service or biting the bullet and going with Virgin.

You should contact "Fastershire" and ask about your location to see if they'll confirm this.

Brian