cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming price Increase, can I leave my Plusnet contract for free?

FIXED
very452001
Grafter

Upcoming price Increase, can I leave my Plusnet contract for free?

Hi,

I already paid line rental saver and also have a 100% broadband discount.

I like to cancel/terminate/leave plusnet but haven't decided on which new provider to move to.

Can I cancel/leave/terminate plusnet without moving to a new provider avoiding any termination fees?

Thinking of leaving plusnet contract now and move to a new provider later in future.

Will this affect my credit rating?

If costs involved please advise how much I be paying?

Many thanks,

25 REPLIES 25
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Upcoming price Increase, can I leave my Plusnet contract for free?

Hi, In terms of the price refresh and giving notice within 30 days of receiving the email the only thing I can advise is calling our Customer Options Team as they can discuss in detail what this covers.
I know it covers any early termination fee and that a cease fee (£30) would still be applicable if we are needing to cut the services to the property but in this case if your looking to move provider then it would be giving us notice and then getting the new provider to place the orders.
This wouldn't effect your credit rating as we don't do credit checks.

Again I'd recommend contacting our Customer Options Team to discuss this in full detail.

They are contactable on 0800 013 2632 and they are open on between the following hours:
Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

Kind Regards,

Ben

very452001
Grafter

I received the email on the 8th may.

So can I get a refund on my line rental saver?

I prefer to get advice from forums.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The advice from Ben is the best way to receive an answer.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tagger
Grafter

@very452001 wrote:

I received the email on the 8th may.

So can I get a refund on my line rental saver?

I prefer to get advice from forums.

That rather depends.  Having paid the line rental saver, is this price rise actually going to cost you anything?

If it is, then you have the right to cancel, but you may still have to pay Openreach's termination fee if you have your service disconnected (as opposed to moving to another provider).  You have a right to a refund of any remaining time on the LRS.

If it's not going to cost you anything, you have no grounds to cancel.

very452001
Grafter

How much is the openreach termination fee?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

If you're referring to the cessation charge, it's £30.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

...which is not chargeable if you migrate to another WBC provider ... That is you do not cease services on the line and do not move to a LLU provider nor to Virgin Media.

One might be forgiven for believing that BT Wholsale (nothing to do with ISPs) have established pricing practices to make moving off thier network unattractive to the end user. Cool_smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tagger
Grafter

According to Plusnet's own published information https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

"The good news is, there's no charge if you move to another broadband service that also uses a BT line for its network."

Notice that it says "BT line".  It does not mention any LLU equipment at the exchange.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Oh indeed, mixed phraseology!

"Remove broadband from the line" and "uses a BT line for its network" are not quite the same sentiment.  It a service cease fee.

@JonoH - does the wording around this matter need review to avoid ambiguity?  Elsewhere a staff member suggested that a migration to a LLU provider might not result in a cease fee IF THEY placed a not W or P migration order.  If that is correct, is there an implication that abaritary choices made by the gaining provider is the cause of LLU migration cease charges arising?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Well that's as clear as mud Crazy2

Whilst I think I know the answer to this I just want to clarify it with the people in the know. I'll then aim to explain it here in as transparent a way as possible. I can however state with confidence that we only charge this when we get charged it by our suppliers.

@very452001 Hi, Sorry that you're thinking of cancelling. If you drop me a PM with your account details on I'd be happy to call you and run through your options.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

But the £30 appears to be less than the amount charged by BTWholesale. Nor do Plusnet mention that it should be zero in Market A.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Townman wrote:
Elsewhere a staff member suggested that a migration to a LLU provider might not result in a cease fee IF THEY placed a not W or P migration order.

@Townman While in the past that was correct, it's not any more as per my response on This Thread.

@HarryB wrote:

Back in 2015 when Chris made that post, it was correct.

Unfortunately cease code (M) is also chargeable, and this covers LLU Transfer PSTN cease and Migration to LLU.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Thanks for clearing that up @HarryB

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
very452001
Grafter

Just to summarise and clarify, how much will I be paying if i leave plusnet and do not move to a new provider? Can I get a refund on my line rental saver if taken this route?

Or do I have the right to do this without paying any fees/charges?