cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown calls being billed

bmiller59

Unknown calls being billed

Each month I notice I have been billed for three or four landline calls , each around 0.04 seconds long all to the same 0870 number and all around the same time 10.00pm. I know I have not made these calls as I do not own a handset and use my mobile for all phone calls. I have raised this issue, but the person on the help desk  did not seem to believe that I had not made the calls, I pointed out that as I do not have a handset it cannot be me, but he said there was nothing he could do as as far as he could tell the phone line is working fine. These additional monthly call charges are not much, but it does worry me that one day the charges could suddenly increase as it is not me making the call. I have tried to call the 0870 number from my mobile but it appears to a fax machine or similar as you just get a clicking sound.

4 REPLIES 4
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Unknown calls being billed

@bmiller59 

Have you googled the 0870 number or tried to find its owner via the SayNoTo0870 website? Do you have anything that is connected to the phone line and is trying to "phone home" e.g an alarm or Sky box?

bmiller59

Yes I have checked and the number comes up as "not known". No, the only thing connected to the broadband about the time the calls are made is the TV. 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@bmiller59 wrote:

I know I have not made these calls as I do not own a handset and use my mobile for all phone calls. I have raised this issue, but the person on the help desk  did not seem to believe that I had not made the calls

Seems to be the standard response unfortunately.  Sad

Welcome to the forum.  🙂

It could be a device in someone else's home making these calls if there is a crossed connection somewhere in the network.

Do you have, or can you borrow, a handset to plug in and dial 17070 to check that the automatic announcement gives your correct number?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
bmiller59

Yes thanks - I will see if I can borrow a handset. I have also just added Call Blocker on my Plusnet account so I think I can also block outgoing calls to 0870 numbers, but again I need a handset to set this up.