cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy new customer...warning about clever wording during sign up!

Doorman
Grafter

Unhappy new customer...warning about clever wording during sign up!

Recently signed up for Unlimited Broadband and calls or so I thought!
When you choose the 'Unlimited Broadband and Calls package' and click on the 'show details' it does exactly that...shows you the details of the package you are looking at which in this instance includes Plusnet Weekends. This all seemed ideal to me so I click on the 'start your order' link.  The next page brings up a load more options, one being to pay a years line rental in advance for a discounted amount which I'm happy to do, so I take that option. However, what it isn't clear here is at this point it automatically removes Plusnet Weekends from your package and leaves you open to being charged for every call you make day or night, week or weekend despite the package you think you're signing up for being called unlimited broadband and calls....surely a misleading name if no calls are included!? Furthermore, having looked again I see there's no option at that point to re-add Plusnet weekends, in fact, there's no mention that Plusnet weekends even exists, only options to add higher priced upgraded call packages. Of course if it was listed as an optional extra, customers signing might twig it had been removed from their order in the first place and they may rethink before continuing with the order.
So my Plusnet phone line was connected on Friday and by Sunday I had run up over £15 in call charges that I had been led to believe were part of my package. Not impressed at all but sadly I've now paid a non-refundable years line rental up front. I'm just hoping this post will at least prevent someone from being misled as I was. Not at all impressed!
7 REPLIES 7
dragon2611
Grafter

Re: Unhappy new customer...warning about clever wording during sign up!

Have you tried contacting support about it, perhaps they can do something  Undecided
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I do get the impression that Plusnet are trying to maximise home phone revenue (maybe to help subsidise the 'headline' low broadband prices for new customers), it's a business plan that probably works most of the time but not the one I'd choose (but I'm just a customer).
Overall Plusnet still represent good value but I do wonder whether the marketing gurus are going in the wrong direction.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Doorman
Grafter

I do plan to contact support but after trying to find a way to submit a ticket I somehow ended up on here. I don't wanna call as I'm assuming I'll end up getting charged for that too. The trouble is, technically I got what I signed up to but I was led to believe I was signing up for something else.
I did another dummy order yesterday and can see exactly where things are 'conveniently' confusing. When you choose the line rental saver option, a box further down the page off screen that originally had Plusnet Weekend selected disappears altogether and is replaced with line rental only and auto selects it.  It's clearly done to mislead as otherwise the 'Plusnet Weekend' option would still be shown as unselected rather than mysteriously disappearing altogether.
I will be making a formal complaint just so I have one on record and then take my complaint elsewhere. In the meantime, if you've just signed up or are about to...make sure you've signed up for exactly what you think you have!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Calls to support are free from a Plusnet phone and it's an 0800 no so free from most other phones as well apart from most mobiles. http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I have no idea where their marketing gurus are heading - their pricing policy utterly confuses me!
PeterBirt
Grafter

Hi,
I thought i would take a look into this myself to see whats what.
When following the sign up process and selecting the Line rental saver option in the section below where you select your call plan it clearly states the following,

Line Rental Saver does not include a call plan as standard. With Plusnet Line Only you'll get free calls to our Support Team and other Plusnet Phone customers.
If you need inclusive calls to other numbers, choose one of the Plusnet Anytime plans below, or select Monthly Line Rental.

So it seems to me the information was available during sign up
Doorman
Grafter

Hi PeterBirt,
Did you look into this and join the forum just on my behalf as I see this is your first post? Do you work for Plusnet?  I'm well aware the information is there if you know what you're looking for but I feel it's deliberately misleading the way things are worded. I'm £15 or so down, it's not a huge amount and it won't change my life but it could be a lot worse for others who need to count every penny. When I think something is wrong I will speak up about it. I had a couple of colleagues look at it and they agreed it's sly at the very least.
I guess if Plusnet and the powers that be feel it's acceptable it will stay that way but if my post saves at least one person from making the mistake I did then it was worth my while posting this. If you'd like to argue the point further  I'll post screen shots and go into detail about how the wording can mislead but at this point I don't feel it necessary. Anyone that has read this will already be careful not to fall into the trap I did.