cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy... Plusnet Protect cancelled after upgrading?

xyfer117
Dabbler

Unhappy... Plusnet Protect cancelled after upgrading?

So as the title says I had an email informing me my plusnet protect is cancelled...

"We're emailing to confirm that we've removed the Plusnet Protect service from your account.

If you still have the Plusnet Protect software installed on your PC, you should now uninstall it.

Should you want to sign up for Plusnet Protect again, you can do so at any time..."

I have upgraded my package and I am now paying more money why on earth has this been taken off my account?

I have been a loyal customer for years and just signed up to a new contract. Is there anything that can be done about this?

I'm also not happy about the new capped upload speeds I didnt know about!
7 REPLIES 7
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Unhappy... Plusnet Protect cancelled after upgrading?

I have upgraded my package and I am now paying more

If you have moved from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra, then the reason for seeing this email could have been system generated because originally you would have been paying £2pm for it on the lower deal, but now PP is included, therefore free.

I'm also not happy about the new capped upload speeds I didnt know about!

Based on the info in your post, it does sound like you could have previously been on the 40/10 contract and when you renewed it you were offered either 40/2 or 80/40. If this is the case, I do not want to annoy you, but another customer looking at recontracting has been told they might be able to renew and keep their original 40/10 deal.

Having said the above, it is advisable to wait to see if anybody from Plusnet responds to your post.

xyfer117
Dabbler

Before I moved house and upgraded to fibre I was on on ADSL package paying less than I do now but had plusnet protect included.
DS
Seasoned Champion

That makes it more plausible that this is system generated as you're moving from adsl to vdsl.

Hopefully somebody will be along in due course to clarify this for you.

I totally understand that moving from adsl to fibre does mean our cost goes up too. In honesty I feel it should actually be cheaper because  the price BTw charge their customers (Plusnet in this case) for line rental has actually gone down over the last 4 years (by around 25%) yet the likes of Sky have increased their price to us by 41%. I have not checked how much Plusnet's line rental has increased by, but would guess to say it can't be too far off from what Sky did.

The cost to provide fibre is, as far as I know, also cheaper than the cost for adsl,  but again moving to fibre costs more.....

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @xyfer117

I am sorry to hear that your Plusnet Protect has been cancelled. The service is only free of charge with Unlimited ADSL and Unlimited Fibre Extra. With Unlimited Fibre it is £2.00 per month.

If you would like to add this, please go to https://www.plus.net/AddOns.html

As for your upload speed, the Unlimited Fibre package is based on the 40/2 product. If you would like an uncapped upstream, and also downstream you would need to opt for the Unlimited Fibre Extra package.

Apologies for any disappointment caused.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
xyfer117
Dabbler

So I pay more for fibre but as its not the extra package it's not included. I could understand if this rule was for new customers but as a loyal existing customer who has always happily enjoyed this service this is very disappointing.
DS
Seasoned Champion

I can see the reason has been given now, and yet again I really do understand your frustration.

If you decide not the pay and wish to opt for one of the many free antivirus software packages available via the www, if you have windows based PC's or Laptops, then I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (free from Microsoft). This is used on all of ours, it does it's job and it doesn't consume all of the system resources - BT Netprotect and Plusnet Protect are in a sense the same and can reduce performance by quite a bit when it is scanning etc..

I do not work for Microsoft and receive no incentive to endorse their offerings.

If you have youngsters and are concerned then maybe this if worth looking at - Plusnet Safeguard

Should you decide to uninstall Plusnet Protect from your system(s) completely, searching the internet for the McAfee removal tool would also be worth while (and running).

Additional suggestions would be Malwarebytes (free version) and CCleaner (free version) if you really wanted to increase the level of protection (imo more than any ISP named software) and keep your system in an almost peak performance.

Mav
Fixes: 514

I concur with @DS.

I used Microsoft Security Essentials on W7 Professional along with CC Cleaner, Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.62 (free versions only) for many years without any problems.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still